Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Large fenced vegetable garden with raised beds

Wheats
Having an Impact

Large fenced vegetable garden with raised beds

My wife wanted a veggie garden and liked an idea in a Bunnings magazine. She wanted plenty of space for fruits, veggies and herbs. All materials were purchased from Bunnings

Materials

• Cypress posts
  • weather shield paint in monument
  • mesh panels
  • saddle clips
  • galvanised timber screws
  • concrete

Tools

• Tape measure
  • hammer
  • post hole digger
  • circular saw
  • Shovel
  • Spirit level
  • Bolt cutters

Steps

Step 1

IMG_1178.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

First I had to clean the area and measure out where the posts would go. I dug holes for the posts and concreted them in. 

Step 2

Once the concrete was set, I could start cutting the boards to size and attaching them. 

I painted the entire thing with a weather resistant paint in Monument to match the fence.

IMG_1417.jpeg

Step 3

I cut the wire mesh to size and and attached them to the inside of the frame using the saddle clips 

IMG_1526.jpeg

Step 4

Once the garden beds were finished, we added 2 colorbond garden beds and pavers to walk on

IMG_1606.jpeg

Step 5

We added soil and plants and a compost bin.

IMG_1746.jpeg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Veggie Garden Delight

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wheats. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your terrific project.

I trust your wife is delighted with such a thoughtfully laid out and well-designed garden. I really love the way you've planned this out to use the most of the space whilst still allowing great accessibility.

How has your wife enjoyed the veggie garden, and has it changed her gardening experience? What are her favourite plants or vegetables she enjoys growing and harvesting in this flourishing space?

Wonderful job!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Large fenced vegetable garden with raised beds

Looks brilliant @Wheats, many thanks for sharing. 

Was it the Make a Happen renovation that inspired you? 

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. Welcome to the community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Wheats 

Garden Envy would describe how I feel :smile: Thats a nice looking garden area. Thats also a large amont of work! How long did it take all up?

It has really come up nice.

Dave

Wheats
Having an Impact

Thanks @Jason ,

My wife saw a design for a fence surrounding a veggie garden in one of the Bunnings magazines. She liked the look of it, the only problem was we didn’t have a veggie garden yet. So the project was born.

Still have to attach a gate to the entrance.

Wheats
Having an Impact

Hi @Dave-1,

Thanks.

It was a lot of hard work, but well worth it. Once I had drawn out plans, ordered all the materials & gathered everything that I needed for the build itself, it took approx 3 weeks. Had a lot of rain interruptions & had to do it before & after work & on weekends.

Still a gate to go on the entrance.

Re: Veggie Garden Delight

Hi @MitchellMc,

We are really are enjoying the garden bed. I’m pretty happy with how it has turned out & my wife & daughter love it, especially the compost bin that has been put in.

We are loving growing our own food.

Still have a gate to put on the entrance, which should be done this week.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

That’s absolutely awesome @Wheats  ohhhh all the Edibles you can grow and enjoy !!!! Geez you could add a compost area right next to it. Very lucky to have the room to do it. Can’t wait to see what you and your Wife will growing. Please keep the Community updated as I know everyone will be inspired. Well done, wonderful project 🌿🌿💚

Thanks @mich1972,

Was a lot of hard work. Have actually got a built in compost area in within the veggie garden at the back.

I’ll definitely keep the photos coming.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Even better 😂🌿💚 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects