Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low Level Deck

Olin
Just Starting Out

Low Level Deck

I'm trying to plan to build a low level deck and need some help. The clearance off the ground would be about 250mm and for this reason I was thinking of just running Joists from the back of the house. I'm wondering if I use H3 treated pine 190mm * 45mm joists and fix directly into concrete flooting

with stirrups or existing slab with Dyno bolts. Would this be sufficient enough? If this will be okay, how far apart should I drop footings? Every 1.8m?  I will be running the joists every 450mm and using the joist hangers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low Level Deck

Welcome the Bunnings Workshop community @Olin. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

There are a variety of stirrups that you can use for this purpose when bolting directly into the concrete slab. I would be inclined to think posts at 1200mm-1500mm centres would be appropriate for 190 x 45mm treated pine timber. You might need to look at some span tables to get direction on whether 1800mm is appropriate. Let me mention the ever-helpful @Adam_W to see if he would like to join the conversation. Adam has recently put together an article on How to build a low-level deck which I trust you'll find useful in your project.

If you can provide the dimensions of the deck I'd be happy to post a basic layout for you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects