Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low budget, less waste, cleaner chicken feeder.

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Low budget, less waste, cleaner chicken feeder.

G'day everyone.

I tend to work on a small budget where possible because apparently, it against the law to force my wife and kids to live on bread and water so I can pursue my hobbies. 😋

Seriously though... I like to try to recycle or re-use things and I usually have to keep to the smallest budget I can, as long as it doesn't compromise safety or health.

I had this old food grade bucket that had a neglected cactus in it and it had a hole on one side.

• I cut a hole on opposite sides and made sure they were a few inches up from the bottom.
  • Put Gorilla tape around the edges, so the chooks don't hurt themselves rubbing on the plastic edges.
  • Cut about 1/3 off the lid and put it in as a divider as I and adding 2 different food products.
  • I had a spare lid, so I've used that on top, but it's optional if you put the bucket under cover.
  • One side had shell grit and the other has laying pellets.

I still have a spare bucket, so I might try one for their grain too.

Yes, it's all very rough, but that's how I work and I don't think the chooks will complain. 😁

The chooks have no problem getting their head in and accessing the contents and they can't get their feet is, so no more seeing the stuff spread everywhere. 

If you don't have the buckets available, I've seen Bunnings selling food grade ones, with lids in various sizes.

Food grade bucket and lid.Food grade bucket and lid.Cut windows on opposite sides and tape edges.Cut windows on opposite sides and tape edges.Cut off 1/3 of the lid.Cut off 1/3 of the lid.Insert as a divider if using 2 types of food.Insert as a divider if using 2 types of food.Pellets on one side.Pellets on one side.Shell grit on the other side.Shell grit on the other side.Easy access for the girls. Less mess. Yes, there is mess, but I did that to get the girls attention.Easy access for the girls. Less mess. Yes, there is mess, but I did that to get the girls attention.

Mike852
Getting Established

Re: Low budget, less waste, cleaner chicken feeder.

Did this but I’m getting rodents in it. Would love one with an automatic door that closes at night. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low budget, less waste, cleaner chicken feeder.

Hi @Mike852,

I see you have created a new discussion on this topic and the community is assisting.  

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration and helpful advice on the site from our wonderful members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects