Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck over concrete with gazebo and spa

Tara1979
Just Starting Out

Low-level deck over concrete with gazebo and spa

Hi, I am new to this workshop site but have been a long time home and garden creator. :smile: 

I want to build a low lying patio decking floor over stamped concrete, for next to my spa. 

Once that is achieved I want to buy the semi permanent gazeebo from Bunnings to go on there.

I am thinking of using the Wooden decking to anchor the gazebo posts. My concerns are obviously about correct drainage and water proofing, especially as it is next to my spa. And I’m unsure if the decking will be effective and strong enough to hold the gazeebo through strong winds, etc. 

i think i will go around the spa, although also wondering if i should just make the decking up to the spa

Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

6E8654C0-43D7-4C8A-A708-39AC94158368.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tara1979. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

If you're concerned about the decking not being strong enough to hold the gazebo in strong winds, then you might like to build the deck around the posts and anchor them into the ground. Please bear in mind these are semi-permanent gazebos and not designed to withstand high winds. Their included fixings for the posts are grass pins, so the gazebo can be shifted or taken down if high winds are expected.

How high were you planning on building the deck off the ground? As long as the decking was raised on joists, there shouldn't be any issues with drainage if the patio area has a fall graded into it. Does water pool around that area after rain, or does it run off?

We do a range of modular decking that would make a project like this super simple. A perimeter of the panels could be laid around the spa to create a stepped look.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thgsk you for your response, sorry mine has been delayed. I put my back out so was out of action for a while. 

I like the idea of building the pation around the posts to secure the gazeebo. How easy would it be to take down when high winds are expected? 

I was going to use raised jolts for the decking, but it will be surrounding a spa, is that. Going to be too much of a problem?

Thanks again for all of your help. 

Cheers

Tara 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sorry to hear that @Tara1979.

These large non-permanent gazebos are not particularly easy to take down. With a couple of people assisting, the roof could be removed within an hour.

I can't see raising the decking on joists around the spa creating any particular issue. Was there something you were concerned about?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects