Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck

Harv
Building a Reputation

Low level deck

Lowleveldeck.jpg

I am building a low level deck and I’m restricted with height.

I’m using 140x45 H3 treated pine bearers.

I put my posts in at 1.8mt spacings. The deck is 7m x3.6m with flush joists and centre bearer. Now I’m not sure if my stumps are too far apart for that size timber.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low level Deck

Hi @Harv,

Great project! I'm sure community members will be able to provide some advice along the way. 

In the meantime, here are some previous discussions you might be interested in:

Outdoor kitchen and entertainment area@raymao268 is also building the decking very close to the ground

Finished our timber-free deck@Adam_W just finished his deck and might be able to offer some tips for your construction

Send me your deck pics@maknilsin also just finished a decking project.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I'm sure our community member posts will be the source of helpful information and inspiration. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@HarvUnfortunately, you haven't provided enough details for the information you are requesting on structural supports. .
Other things that need to be considered:
Deck Height?
Will it have a roof?
Do you require Building Plans & Council approval?
Floor Loading certification, etc,etc
BTW.There are many other websites that have span tables that are misused.
OT if you want structural support (excuse the pun) @Jason the requests have to be in a typical format, which safeguards all parties and helps others.
Rather than "send me your pics" which doesn't span the distance (he,he,he)
Goodluck

Harv
Building a Reputation

The deck height is from .5 of a mt to .3 mt the other end there will be no roof structure at all just the deck and doesn’t require council approval,and be using  90x25 mm decking

raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Hi Harv, as Jason mentioned, I am also in the process of building mine. Looks like my deck is a lot closer to the ground than yours. Love to share any experience with you if needed. What size of joist are you using?
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Harv
Thanks for the addition information, what centres are your joists at to support your 90 x25mm decking  300, 450mm or 600mm?

Harv
Building a Reputation

450 centers using 140x45 h3 treatment pine

Thanks for your reply 

Harv
Building a Reputation

140x45 @450mm  centers hope it helps you 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Harv

Thanks for the info.. hope this helps others

Engineering Decking.jpg

Harv
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the plan that's my deck layout, but I only have single 140x45 bearers do I need to double up and have two bolted together, plus my joists will be flush using joist hangers
Thanks again for the plan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects