Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck

Lappa
Getting Established

Low-level deck

decl1.jpeg

I want to build a low level floating deck over a paved area to bring the walking surface to door sill level.

The sill height is approximately 270mm high.

The deck will be 6.3m long and 3.5 m wide.

I would like to build on adjustable footings as the paving area may not be exactly level. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to use either Merbau or spotted gum decking 19mm thick

Could I get suggestions on frame timber sizes timber  and footing spacing please

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What materials for low-level deck over paved area?

Hello @Lappa

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about what material to use for a low-level deck over a paved area.

It's great that you've decided to give this project a go. I suggest reading this informative guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This will give you the necessary information to make a plan for your deck. If you are looking for adjustable footing, I suggest looking at Builders Edge Pedestal Foot Bigfoot Xl 70 - 170mm. The lower version is the Builders Edge Pedestal Foot Smallfoot 35 - 60mm for smaller gaps.

When using timber for decking I recommend using treated timber with a rating of H3 or higher. These types of timber are chemically treated for exterior use and will last a long time. Each state has its own regulations concerning how to build decks. I recommend checking the local council rules in your area to make sure that your build is compliant. Please keep us updated.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Low profile deck with screening and steps

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lappa
Getting Established

Deck is now built

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's terrific, @Lappa! We'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing about the methods you used in its construction.

Mitchell

Lappa
Getting Established

I used concreted in stirrups rather than resting on the paving. Three 140x45mm bearers, fifteen 90x45mm joists for the framework. 86x19 spotted gum boards with 5mm spacing. I was going to use 146x19mm boards but had feedback that they tend to cup even with XL head 12g screws.

60C19267-EC0C-490C-BDCA-FCD018D15EED.jpegC90F8355-0B33-460E-956F-04E1365C1279.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing, @Lappa. The finish on those spotted gum boards is just sensational. I'm sure you are incredibly proud of your efforts as you've completed a wonderful looking deck.

Many thanks for the additional info and the images.

I can't wait to see your next project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects