Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level decking in front porch on concrete slab

roeykeskar
Just Starting Out

Low-level decking in front porch on concrete slab

Hi All,

I have been researching a lot lately on ideas to get low level deck in my front porch. All the discussions in this forum I looked had a minimum clearance of 120mm where as my front area only has a max. 75mm clearance from bottom of security door to concrete slab.

I was thinking about using bearer/joist and pedestal (25mm) but not sure if clearance I have would be sufficient. My front deck area is around 6.7m2 (3420mm x 1970mm). 

Hoping to get some suggestions from experts here so that I can cover off the concrete in porch area.

Cheersclearance.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-level decking in front porch on concrete slab

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @roeykeskar. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about deck construction.

That's exceptionally low clearance. Is the area exposed to the rain? The only real option would be to use 90 x 45mm H3 framing timber on its 45mm side, leaving an 11mm gap under it. I don't like to say anything is impossible, but you need to expect with next to no airflow within the deck's structure or the ability to dry out after it becomes wet, its lifespan will be decreased to some extent.

Have a read-through of @Adam_W's article on Building a low-level deck, and then I can start to assist you in putting a plan together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for your response and apologies couldn't respond early.

To answer your question, yes almost all of the area is under cover except the few mm from the corners. 11mm gap seems quite less but would it fit pedestal? 

Also keeping my options open, would there be another way to hide the concrete porch if low level deck seems impossible..

Thanks again for all your support.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @roeykeskar

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. I agree with his analysis of your decking conditions. I'm afraid 11mm is just not enough of a gap for proper airflow. I'm sorry but 11mm is not enough space for a pedestal. Your other options are to pave the area to give it a new look or cover the area with artificial turf to make it blend with the garden. You could also mix and match with pavers and pebbles to disguise the area.  

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects