Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level decking plan

Caz11
Getting Established

Low-level decking plan

Hi there. I've been lurking here for several weeks getting ideas for my deck. Just need an opinion on the plan I've come up with. I haven't draw in the joists. The deck would be 8m by 5.3m attached part way on two sides to the house. I'm thinking bearers 140mm x 45mm doubled up and spaced at 1.6m. With galv stirrups every 1.75m. The ledgers attached to the house would be same size as the bearers. Would my joists be ok at 120mm x 45mm? Or could I get away with smaller?

I only have around 180mm of height so I need to make single level structure with joist hangers. Also area is currently slabbed. Do you recommend taking them up? Or leaving them there? taking them up will get me a little more clearance underneath and perhaps be better if any moisture gets in? The entire deck is under an existing patio, however weather can still blow in. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

rough planrough planmessy patio areamessy patio areaheight of deckheight of deck
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low-level decking plan

Looks brilliant @Caz11, very well done.

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing the end result. I'm sure it will inspire others. If you could share more of what you learned along the way, I'm sure other members will appreciate it as low-level decks are always hugely popular and often a tough challenge.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects