Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low profile decking

VS
Just Starting Out

Low profile decking

Hi all, I'm planning to build a deck soon and was wondering if someone can help to calculate materials required and if possible share their experience. I was planning to split it into two parts initially but then decided to build it as a single platform. I am planning to use spotted gum STD BTR 64x19mm if I find the supplier or 86x19mm from Bunnings. Base frame will most likely be 70x45mm on concrete foundation blocks. Please see the image below with dimensions. Thanks, VS

backyard_wd.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low profile decking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @VS. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I'd encourage you to start by reading through @Adam_W's guide on How to build a low-level deck. Then you can start planning out your deck and how you would like to construct it. This includes which way you would like the decking to run, if you will be picture framing it and the height at which you wish the deck to be. Below I've put together a diagram to illustrate how your joists could be set out. You'll be nailing your boards onto the joists and their centres need to be roughly 450-600mm apart. If you search for low-level deck in the community you'll find tonnes of helpful discussions of members that have successfully built their own deck. 

For calculating your decking material you should find this Specrite decking calculator handy. If you were interested in the 64 x 19mm Spotted Gum then a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk would be more than happy to enquire with our decking supplier for you.

After reading through the guide provided above, please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Low profile decking

Hi @VS,

I am a retired Carpenter and would be happy to help you with your material take off.

Since i retired I have built several decks for friends.

I also like to run the boards along the length of the deck and parallel to the house.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects