Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Makeover for the side of the house

shayden06
Cultivating a Following

Makeover for the side of the house

IMG20180525151014.jpgA small project I completed for my sister. Everything was brought from Bunnings.

IMG20180519103859.jpg

IMG20180519103913.jpg

IMG20180520152905.jpg

IMG20180521163347.jpg

IMG20180523140903.jpg

IMG20180525150936.jpg

IMG20180525150941.jpg

IMG20180525150948.jpg

IMG20180525151014.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Garden makeover

Fantastic work @shayden06. Many thanks for sharing this project with us.

Narrow areas down the side of a house can be tricky to work with, can't they? You have come up with a great result. Well done. 

We also did our sideway recently, going from ugly cracked concrete to a path with bluestone rounds, railway sleepers,  and garden bed. We're happy with the result - I'll pop some photos below, although the garden is more established now. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We hope you get lots of inspiration and advice for your projects from our community members. Please post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share. 

Jason

Sideway.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, it really is not wise to let ficus ? ivy to adhere to brickwork, it can separate the mortar & make the brick wall unsafe, believe me when I bought my house I had a wall with it on & it had gone rampant, took forever to get off, it's nice while it is little leaves but they soon get very big. Take it off a put in hanging baskets that way it will stay small leafed

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Vintage-Paradox.

It's Boston Ivy we're growing on our neighbour's brick wall. We're using it to cover the wall as it's a little unsightly in patches. Boston Ivy does mark walls with its sucker-like discs but it doesn't typically do the kind of damage that an English Ivy might do. It's actually part of the grape family and looks beautiful at this time of year. But you're right in that like any climber it does grow vigorously and it's important to keep it under control. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I hope you get lots of great advice and inspiration for your projects from our members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Thanks again,

Jason

pete_brig
Making a Splash

Re: Makeover for the side of the house

Hi.

Very nice looking job but I have a concern about durability using blue H2 (?) timber--for this type of project I'd suggest H4. H3 may be OK at a pinch but I'd be concerned about it being able to dry out enuf, especially if water ponded under the walkway. Something to consider for future projects.

FYI, I found the following on the TPAA website http://www.tpaa.com.au/faq/

H2 Inside, under cover, protected from wetting, no leaching Insects and termites
H3 Outside above ground, periodic wetting but where the timber can dry out; some leaching

H4 In or on the ground subject to severe wetting and leaching

Cheers, Peter

Kudos thats really a awesome transformation from an "ugly area" to somthing thats quite beautiful now. I bet your sister is keen for some more of your work elsewhere now lol

That blue treated pine would last about five years in my situation.

Thanks for joining in the discussion @VenDerStrat. Could you elaborate for us? What's your situation?

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join the community and look forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. Please post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project. We have heaps of helpful members happy to share information, inspiration and advice. 

And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can further improve Workshop for you. 

Thanks again,

Jason

james64
Cultivating a Following

I reaaly like this, it looks so clean simple and fresh. it gives me some ideas for an area in my sideway, Great job, thank you for the inspiration.

calverts
Just Starting Out

I have a similar project to your posting, although propabably a bit larger is scale. I am interested in your specifications and cost as I have had 2 builders quotes that seem extremely astronomical.

The project I have is approx 20 metres x 1 metre on one side of the house, 17 metres x 1 metre on the other side of the house, plus 9 metres x 2 metres across the back of the house. The first quote was for $51,000 while the second quote was for $45,000 (this quote included $13,000 cost to lay concrete around the house to give a level base to build the walkway).

So, as I said, I am interested in your specifications and cost. I am not after specifics but ball park figures for me to judge. I also understand that if I do it myself there will not be a labour cost.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects