Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Materials and cost for decking project

Robin074
Finding My Feet

Materials and cost for decking project

I would like to build a 5x3 deck using ,your code 012077 decking, how many would I need, also the cost,   I couldn't find how to ask for a quote to supply and deliver to Muswellbrook, could you please also comment on what I would need to stop weeds growing through, I was thinking on wooden frame to add the decking too, or would you suggest steel C section a better option I have a welder.  

regards Robin 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Materials and cost for decking project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Robin074. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question on deck construction.

I can't locate the product you are referencing. Could you please check for a seven-digit number or provide the link to the product? You can use this deck calculator to work out how much decking you'll need for your project. For 90mm Merbau decking, you'll require around 174 lineal meters and that would be $1084. For 140mm Merbau decking, you'll require around 114 lineal meters and that would be $1242. Once you know how much decking and timber you'll need for your project, you can call Bunnings Singleton on (02) 6575 9800 and a team member will be able to organise a quote for you.

The best place to start with constructing a deck's frame would be with @Adam_W's article on How to build a low-level deck. Generally, when steel is used for deck frames, it is in the form of prefabricated deck joist sections. If you have the ability to weld together a complete frame from C section, then it could be a viable solution. H3 outdoor framing timber is suitable for above ground use and needs clearance under it. If the frame is to be in close contact with the ground, it might be a better idea to go with galvanised steel. Though, the coating would pose an issue with wielding it.

If you are concerned with weeds growing through the deck, I'd suggest laying weed matting down over the solid before building your frame.

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you to replying to me,

The decking I was looking at was IN 0121077 Ekodeck plus 137x23x5400 Classic red rock composite decking at  $75-00,  I would also need fixtures to go into steel,

How is the weed mating sold ?,  how much to deliver decking and weed matting  to Muswellbrook,

Cheers Robin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Robin074,

You'll need 21 and possibly an extra one depending on your spacing between boards. You wouldn't be using the entire width of the extra board, though. For the 22 boards, it would be $1650. 

We have the Ekodeck 100m Pack Quickfix Concealed Kit - To Suit Steel Joists, including spacers and screws.

If you go to this link for our weed matting, you'll be able to see all the sizes available. One of these Pillar Products 1.8 x 25m Jumbo Weed Control Mats will be plenty to cover under the deck.

You'll need to phone Bunnings Singleton, and they can provide you with a quote for all the goods and delivery. The Ekodeck will need to be delivered on a crane truck, costing approximately $140.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you, Mitchell, Very helpful. Have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers Robin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sure all our members will be looking forward to following along with your project and seeing the finished results.

Please keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects