Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mortar stain removal from Brickwork

DionSouthwell
Getting Established

Mortar stain removal from Brickwork

Hi,

I have recently completed some re-pointing on some brickwork and now have the task of removing the residual stain left on the bricks from the mortar. Would like to hear what the best products and methods are.

Thanks

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Mortar stain removal from Brickwork

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DionSouthwell. Thanks for starting this discussion.

Are you able to share a photo of the mortar that has been left on the bricks? It would be useful for us to be able to see what it looks like so we can offer helpful advice. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who might have some suggestions on how to get rid of the residue.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Thanks Jane, 

I won't have a picture until tomorrow, it's basically just cement stain from when I sponged the re-pointing work I did, after I wipe down the red brickwork it dries with a grey transparent stain.

Hi @DionSouthwell,

Chemtech Brick Tile And Paver Cleaner is designed to clean slurry stains off bricks. It works best if you can clean the bricks down before the mortar fully curing. Start by removing any large pieces or dags of mortar with a metal scraper. Saturate the wall and any areas around it, including the ground with water. Try not to work in direct sunlight when using the cleaner. Begin at the top and work your way down the wall and only work in small one-meter square sections at a time. This allows you to wash the product off before any staining might occur. You'll find a stiff bristle scrubbing brush will come in handy. Remember to wear safety goggles, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, acid-resistant gloves, and a respirator if the area is not well ventilated.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @DionSouthwell 

Just to add some info @MitchellMc 's recommendation please note that this is a concentrate and must be diluted. Please read the back for ratios for desired strength. Please note that this chemical does have hydrochloric acid and is highly corrosive please use proper protection as recommended by Mitchell. If you are unsure please test in a small spot first preferably some place not easily seen to determine if it will discolor your brick. Please store in a cool dry place away from the sun and out of children's reach. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects