Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New attached deck with roof

amature
Finding My Feet

New attached deck with roof

HI All , i was hoping if I could  have some advice and informations about building a new ( 11 meter x 4 meter ) deck with roof covering attached to the house . I have a few ideas about doing the job, but i was hoping if i could read other experiences and their thoughts.

new deck project.png 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: new attached deck with roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amature. It's fabulous that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

You'll find a tonne of information and advice within the community. Many of our members have embarked on a similar project, and I trust they would be delighted to share their experiences with you. I would encourage you to read through How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for inspiration. You can then come back to us with any questions you might have about your build so we can assist you in getting started.

You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: Planning to build a deck.

I've included below a basic outlay of your deck structure to give you an idea of what it will involve.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your feedback and i apperciate the information you have provided. As I have mentioned, I am going to build a deck  with cover (roof), however at the bottom section of the building  there is not much room for the ledger board to be placed, so If i'm going to do cantilever next to the doors, do I have to do same thing in the outer part of the deck ? , I was hoping I could use a long enough post to use for my deck 's   roofing , I hope I make sence explaining my question !!??what size bearers and joist will be suitable for this project ?, i was planning to use140x90 .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amature,

If you cannot connect a ledger board to the house's structure, then the deck would be held up by posts run directly next to the house's wall. This would be much the same as the rest of the deck as it will be elevated. You could use long enough posts for your deck's roofing, and you would be well advised to invest in a qualified engineer to design the structure for you. This would include the size of footings and calibre of bearers required.

I would suggest contacting your local council, as the elevated deck's size and the fact that it will have a roof might require planning permission.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects