Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New low-lying deck over concrete

DIY4Knuckleheds
Making a Splash

New low-lying deck over concrete

IMG_4005.pngIMG_4017.jpegIMG_4039.jpegIMG_4020.jpegIMG_4042.jpegIMG_4052.jpegIMG_4014.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New Low Lying Deck Over Concrete

Hello @DIY4Knuckleheds

Thank you very much for sharing such a beautifully constructed deck. Can you please tell us a little about the materials you used for the deck? Did you by any chance take a photo of the construction phase of the deck? I'm just curious what kind of posts you used for the deck frame. That finish is just fantastic can you please tell us what stain you used for the decking panels? 

If you have any other information you can share about the deck build, it would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your amazing decking project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day Eric,

Thanks for the reply 👍

The decking boards and the posts are out of a timber called Tonka. I absolutely love the stuff. It is the only hard wood that l know of that doesn't leach tannins which is one of the reasons why l've used it as they also hold up the carport which is over exposed ag concrete so l didn't want tannins leaching all over that surface. The only drawback with it is that it is extremely heavy and hard which makes working with it a little challenging at times but the end result is well worth it.

The sub frame was 90x 45 MGP10 Treated pine which l cut down and coated with bitumen paint to help protect from moisture. These were attached to the concrete with concrete anchor bolts.

Under the treated pine sub frame l attached 5mm plastic window packers spaced at approx. 350mm to keep the joists up off the concrete.

I used Cutek Extreme Clear for the finish....no tint was added. The only issue with the clear is that it will fade and you will need to repeat every 12 months if you want to retain that colour.

If you want to see the complete build from start to finish you can click on my video here. https://youtu.be/t_bcaSJy8bs

Cheers,

Shane 👍😁🇦🇺

Back Deck Image 6.jpgBack Deck Image 9.jpgIMG_0183.jpegBack Deck Image 12.jpgBack Deck image 1.jpgBack Deck Image 10.jpgBack Deck.jpgBack Deck Image 8.jpgBack Deck Image 13.jpgBack Deck Image 5.jpgBack Deck Image 4.jpgBack Deck Image 14.jpgBack Deck Image 2.jpg

Looks fantastic, where did you get the timber, Tonka?

RussF
Finding My Feet

Re: New low-lying deck over concrete

This is great

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RussF. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @DIY4Knuckleheds, so they are alerted to your question. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide more details on where they sourced their timber for this project.

Are you planning a decking project? If so, please keep us updated and reach out if you need any assistance. Our knowledgeable community members are always willing to lend a hand and share their experiences. For a bit of inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you create.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

This has come up beautifully @DIY4Knuckleheds 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

G'day Russ,

I'm sure you can source it from many timber suppliers but l got mine from Coffs Harbour Hardwoods. Glad you liked it mate 👍😁🇦🇺

Thanks Russ! 👍😁

Thanks Pete! Yeah mate we're pretty pleased with it 👍😁🇦🇺

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects