Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New pergola project

Egbert
Growing in Experience

New pergola project

Hi all,

I want to build a pergola at the back of my house, but not sure how to do it. Measurement is 5330mn (shorter sliding door image attached) x 3970mm (wider sliding door image attached). How do i attache the ledger beam on the 5330mm side, and can i use and can i use a ground scree stirrup as my stump/post support.

Thank You,

Egbert.

20210102_073731.jpg

20210102_073717.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Pergola

Hi @Egbert,

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with the community.

Normally the ever-helpful @MitchellMc would be on hand to assist you with your project, but he is taking a well-earned break at the moment. I will ask him to help when he is back next week. Apologies for the delay in the meantime. Let me ask if @Adam_W might be able to share his thoughts.

You might also find this previous discussion helpful - Building a pergola - what materials and tool are required?

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Egbert
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason, thank you for your reply. I will wait for Mitchell when he comes back or I'll eait gor Adams thoughts.

Thank You,

Egbert.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Egbert,

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Build A Pergola. In part two, you'll be shown how to install a wailing plate onto your fascia board. Alternatively, you could join it directly to your brickwork with Dynabolts.

My preference would be to use Full Stirrup Solid Stem Post Anchors concreted into the ground as they provide more stability to the structure than screw-in type supports.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

Egbert
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc

I went for the 90 x 90 treated pine post, my pergola is finished now. Next project is decking underneath it. Can i build the decking over the synthetic grass with about 90mm clearance?

received_426801998571145.jpeg

20210116_194505.jpg

20210123_170333.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The pergola looks fantastic @Egbert. Well done!

Have you seen the helpful guide by @Adam_W How to build a low-level deck? It would be a good starting point. 

Do you have concrete underneath the synthetic grass?

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing, @Egbert!

It doesn't appear that you have much room to work with on top of that synthetic grass. The working height is normally governed by where the windows start. Would that be 90mm clearance to the decking or the framework underneath the decking? The frame needs clearance from the synthetic grass to allow drainage and airflow.

As @Jason has mentioned, I too would be interested to know what is under the grass.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects