Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New pergola

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

New pergola

IMG_9172.JPGHey All,

I thought I'd share some of the projects we have been working on at our new house. Here's some images of our new pergola, we think it's pretty great. Best of all every time we work on a project we learn something new and gain more and more confidence to give something bigger and better a crack! 

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to share any tips and tricks. :smile:

P.S: Ignore the funny looking stormwater pipes in the back, we hadn't yet connected it properly in these pics.

DIYgals_0-1614225666326.gif

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_9172.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New pergola

Hi @pats6182

Thanks for joining the discussion. Let me tag @DIYgals to make them aware of your questions. Are you planning to build your own pergola? Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @pats6182 ,

The size of the timbers we used are as follows:

Beams: 240x45

Rafters :140x45

Purlins: 70x45

The beams are bolted to the posts. We used these brackets (size may be different) and screws to fix the rafters to the beams.

There are heaps of timber span charts available online to help you decide what sizes are best for your design.

It's probably worth noting that the design was signed off and plans were submitted to council by a local engineer to ensure it meets the standards for our location. 

Good luck with your project!

:smile:

Hi @DIYgals thanks for responding and sharing your tips. I was planning to use triple grips but these grips can be seen so was looking for an alternative.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects