Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

No digging or bending vegetable garden stand

KTW
Finding My Feet

No digging or bending vegetable garden stand

As I am getting older and finding it harder to dig I decided I wanted this stand made and then using Bunnings white buckets I made them wicking so no need to water every day.

The stand was basic but then added wheels so movable in my outdoor area then added the top section so I could add screen to roll down in extreme hot weather. 

Materials

• Timber
  • nails
  • screws
  • wheels
  • buckets
  • potting mix
  • netting
  • rope
  • pulleys
  • paint.

Hanging rack and hanging baskets.

Tools

• Saw
  • drill
  • hammer

Steps

Step 1

1.Bought the timber then using a template and with help of handyman Steve cut all the pieces required.

Step 2

2.We then started to put together using the guide I had.

Step 3

3.When completed I decided I wanted more timer to go across the front section so I had somewhere to lean and place things when planting up.

Step 4

4.Then bought all the buckets and tubing for watering and caps to stop mosquitoes breading in the water below.

Step 5

5.I then decided it needed a top section so I could add hanging flowers to bring bees.

Step 6

6.Then netting curtin that I could roll up and down and wheels so I could move around depending on weather.

Step 7

7.Then it was time to add the potting mix the different fertiliser and then the plants. 

Now I can walk out cut what's needed for meal and no back breaking work. It's the best and most useful thing I have ever made.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: No Digging or Bending Vegetable Garden Stand

Hi @KTW,

Thank you for sharing your first project with the Workshop community!  You have built a great standing garden that many of our members will find inspiring. Your project fits perfectly into the "outdoor" section of Bunnings Australia's Search for the Best Project 2023 and I have entered you in. Many of our wonderful member's projects become Top Ideas like 7 stylish plant stands, you may even find yours in there one day. 

I love the paint colour that you chose to paint the timber, are you able to share the name of it?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: No digging or bending vegetable garden stand

Hi @KTW  I agree with @KatieC this will be inspiring for other members. It's good to see that you built this mobile veggie stand, I like the idea of making it mobile and no bending or kneeling, wishing you a great harvest, now just sit back and wait for the reward.

Is the colour , Dune

JoeAzza_0-1688372551039.png

Good luck with your entry in the DIY July entry.

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

What a wonderful idea @KTW These are fab and so practical!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @KTW Wicking Planters are so practical and useful. Looks like you have a good selection of edible plants there. Nothing better than homegrown !!!! Great way to make it easier for yourself 💚🌿 do you have any photos to share of the steps of how you made it ? I think a lot of gardeners would like to try this 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects