Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Non-slip coating for concrete around a pool?

ammo
Just Starting Out

Non-slip coating for concrete around a pool?

Can someone suggest what is the best coating to use on concrete, surrounding an indoor pool. The cement when wet becomes very slippery and I want to stop this.I need something that will also allow the water to drain off.

regrards Ammo

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Non-slip coating for concrete around a pool?

That sounds very dangerous @ammo. Let me ask @MitchellMc to assist you when he is back on the site on Friday. In the meantime you might like to share some photos so Mitch and other community members can see what you are working with.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We have clever and creative members sharing on the site every day, so we're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I use XPO finish from Calmarc over here in Perth - unsure of its availability elsewhere @ammo . It's a premium sealer and can even be tinted so you can change the look of your space and cover up any stains you've accumulated over the years

Pop some fine sand in it (they'll advise the right ratio) to add some grit/grip and avoid the slipperiness.

Note - You can add this fine sand to any sealer as far as I'm aware. But double check with your friendly Bunnings team and/or the manufacturer .

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ammo. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's fantastic to see you've already received helpful suggestions from the very knowledgeable @ProjectPete. For a product that could be more readily available, you can use Crommelin Satin DiamondCoat Paving And Concrete Sealer. Adding Crommelin 60g DiamondCoat Antislip Additive to the sealer will increase traction.

Before applying a coating over the area, you need to be aware of what has already been applied to the surface. This is important around a pool. If too many layers have already been applied or the previous product is incompatible, then issues such as efflorescence retention and product delamination can occur. Sealers around pools need to be breathable, allowing moisture to transpire through them which too many layers can prevent.

If the concrete has never been sealed, then you can clean the area and apply the product. You must remove the previous sealer if you are not aware of the base or how many layers have been applied. Crommelin 1L Water Rinseable Degreaser would be a suitable product for removing the previous coating.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects