Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Orientation of T joiner steel sleeper pegs

G2E
Finding My Feet

Orientation of T joiner steel sleeper pegs

I’m joining treated pine sleepers to hold back woodchips, using galvanised T joiner steel sleeper pegs (MaximMetals). Should the side of the joiner with bolt heads used to attach to the sleepers be facing the ‘visible’ (good or out) side, or should that side be facing the woodchips? Or, doesn’t it matter?! In the picture here, I’ve tentatively placed the joiner facB134DE88-A4F8-4C1F-9E99-9363508ECFDD.jpeging the woodchips

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Orientation of T joiner steel sleeper pegs

Hello @G2E

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the proper orientation of the T sleeper peg.

The forces generated on the sleepers usually comes from the soil inside the garden. This force multiplied over time is what causes the sleepers to move and tip over. To keep the sleepers in line a Sleeper Peg is usually attached to prevent the sleeper from moving. In this instance, the "T" is suppose to be on the other side. The reason for this is the wings of the "T" actually hold the sleepers back and keep them straight. If you were to install it in its current configuration the sleepers will continue to lean out. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
G2E
Finding My Feet

Re: Orientation of T joiner steel sleeper pegs

Thanks Eric. That makes complete sense. Much appreciated. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects