Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Our "little" retaining wall project using Gabion cages

Grandy
Cultivating a Following

Our "little" retaining wall project using Gabion cages

IMG_1700.JPG
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: I thought members may be interested in our "little" retaining wall project using Gabio

Wow, thanks for sharing @Grandy. That looks like a very big project! It's looking fantastic.

Great to see you make your first post. Let me again extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
colinandrew
Finding My Feet

Re: I thought members may be interested in our "little" retaining wall project using Gabio

Looks great. Do you buy the empty cages and then fill them with your own rocks ? 
How long do they guarantee against rust ?  I'm guessing by then roots would hold them anyway.
I'm looking forward to the finished photos :smile:

Grandy
Cultivating a Following

Hi Colinandrew,

The cages come in flat pack and are really easy to assemble, you can get them in a huge variety of sizes.
There is a couple of thicknesses to choose from but the top of the line gages have an expected life span of 50 years, I did most of my research on the gabion 1 website where you can get all the info needed, prices, tips, hints, how to videos and more.
The filling can be anything you want, recycled bricks, broken tiles, river pebbles, sandstone or really any type of rock.
The only "downside" to thgese is the massive amount of hard work filling the cages, for the best results each peice should be placed in by hand like putting together a huge jigsaw puzzzle.
Each of our 2.1m x .5m x 1m cages takes 2 cubic metres of rock, thats about 2.5-3 tonnes in weight.

Thanks for your interest in the project, I will post more pics as the job progresses

Grandy
Cultivating a Following

Well it has taken a while but our Gabion Walls are now all completed.
Over 130 metres x 1 mtr high filled with 140 tonnes of quartzite rock they really make a huge statement.
Although we are in a culdesac in a new estate we get a lot of "tourists" drive by, many stop if I am in the yard and comment on the walls.
These are a labour intensive way to landscape but the results are fantastic, you can keep costs down if you are able to do the work yourself and you can select from a huge range of fillings some of which are free like broken bricks or tiles that look great.
Now the turf has been layed the walls have taken on a stronger role as the backbone of the landscaping and as we add the final personal touches and plantings we have a garden that is a real talking point and a delight to spend time in.IMG_1161.JPGFullSizeRender (1).jpgIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1832.JPGIMG_1834.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Grandy Great result! Many thanks for the update.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects