Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Kaboodle kitchen

RayaJane
Finding My Feet

Outdoor Kaboodle kitchen

Good afternoon guys. 
I’m looking to build an outside Kaboodle kitchen. 
I’m at a loss on how to design the BBQ drop in section. 
It would seem I’m missing something? Or are people altering an aspect? 
I just want draws into one side 900

then maybe some cupboards under the bbq and then I’m having a fridge under the other side. Very simple.. well so I thought. All Kaboodle bases are 720 high, so how do you get the bbq drop in section? Raise the sides? Get cupboards n cut down? Please enlighten me, as I am in fear I’m over complicating the situation.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Kaboodle kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RayaJane. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, I have confirmed with Kaboodle that their cabinetry and benchtops are not designed to have BBQ's built into them. As the cabinets are constructed from timber this would pose a fire risk and they could be damaged from excessive heat. Kaboodle recommends a free-standing BBQ with air gaps between it and any cabinets. I've posted an image below of a suitable setup for an alfresco Kaboodle kitchen. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Kab Alfresco.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

08807C3B-F98D-47C8-BD6B-29743CA5CBD0.jpeg

 this is a Bunnings display. I would be installing a stone/concrete bench between bbq n the cupboards. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the photo @RayaJane, I'm sure that will really help @MitchellMc provide assistance to you when he is back on the site tomorrow. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RayaJane,

Many thanks for the image and the additional information that you'll be using a natural stone/concrete benchtop.

The supplier used in this display is Essential stone and their suitable colours are caviar and liquorice. These two colours are both fire-rated and suitable for exterior use. As you have mentioned a concrete benchtop would also be appropriate.

The drop-in section is created with three 600mm slimline cabinets positioned on their sides.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

mmasci
Building a Reputation

Hi All

I was planning on something similar with a free-standing BBQ in between series of Kaboodle cupboards, leaving the appropriate airgap and even using some fire safe material ie stone or fibre cement sheeting. My questions are:

1) While my area is undercover and the cupboards are against a block wall on 3 sides. One end might get some splash of rain if it is heavy enough. Are the cabinet carcasses up to the job?

2) I was planning on using stone top but also like the look of timber. Any thoughts on timber for outdoor kitchen. My benchtop will get some sunlight? What about from cooking and using the BBQ?

3) For the doors I wasn't going to use the glass doors as per the picture above, but rather the raw board doors and paint them with exterior paint so it blends in with the surrounding walls and house. I was thinking that as I've used exterior paint, if it is good enough for the outside of a house it should be good enough for my doors.

4) As an alternative to the metal legs shown in the picture. I was thinking of building a kickboard with Marine Ply and also painting and sealing it to the ground.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Marco

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Marco (@mmasci). It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your questions about creating a Kaboodle alfresco kitchen.

Although Kaboodle's products can be used outdoors, they will need to be installed in a covered space to ensure they are protected from the elements. Their cabinets are moisture-resistant, not waterproof, so installing them in an undercover area is very important. As in a kitchen, it is fine to occasionally have water splash on the cabinetry, but it's always best to dry it off as soon as possible. If water ends up pooling on your alfresco kitchen cabinets, it could then find its way into the carcass. A benchtop that completely encompasses the cabinetry will add another layer of protection.

Timber is fine to use as the bench as long as it is coated in an appropriate exterior grade varnish such as Bondall Gloss Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish. It should also be appropriately spaced away from heat sources with air gaps, as in the image above.

Exterior wall paint is soft. You'd be much better off with something like Dulux Aquanamel. It's also suitable for external use but is a much harder coating and resistant to knocks, wear and damage.

A custom marine ply kickboard sounds like it would work. Just make sure it is coated on all surfaces before installation, including the face touching the ground and the cabinetry. You don't want the ply to wick up water from the ground and allow it to penetrate the cabinets.

For some more inspiration, before you start your project, make sure you check out some of the fantastic outdoor kitchens our members have contributed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

mmasci
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the tips and extra links to products. That all makes sense. Below is a photo of the area that is covered and has block work on 3 sides. The end on the left might get some water in a heavy storm, but with the sealing of the kickboard and the door protecting the carcass. I think it should be fine.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or concerns.

Thanks

Marco

BBQ Area.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing your completed outdoor kitchen Marco (@mmasci). Please provide updates as you progress and let us know if you need a hand with anything along the way.

Jason

mmasci
Building a Reputation

Hi All

It has been a while since I lasted updated the post and realised I hadn't posted my finished project. The Outdoor kitchen is complet and thank you for the tips and advice given on this post.

IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_3506.JPGIMG_4031.jpgIMG_4110.JPGIMG_1520.jpgIMG_4190.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects