Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Power suggestions

Walter

Outdoor Power suggestions

Hey Workshoppers,

I have an old smallish shed which we are tearing down.  It has power for lights, and 2x 240v outlets.  It used to house the swimming pool pump on a timer, as well as tools, table, cupboards for pool chemicals etc, and a bar fridge.

There's conduit running from the house to the shed, it goes up one of the walls on the outside of the shed.

We intend to use the cement floor, so just the shed is going. We can extend the cement slab into a pergola or just outside eating area.

We have an electrician in the family, so we are ok with disconnection of the wiring etc..

I'd like to keep "some" of the conduit or replace it,  and put a weather proof power outlet there. I thinking of putting a small box on a pedestal, so it's above future water issues (we had a minor flood during the last downpour, but the water never got above 2 inches, and we are on a slope anyway.

A nice "weatherstation" type box (with slats, white painted wood) might look attractive.

Thoughts?, any gotchas, and advice?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Power suggestions

That sounds like a great project, @Walter

It would be reasonably easy to create an attractive-looking enclosure to house your weatherproof powerpoint. You might need to route the frame of the unit to accept the slats. I would imagine creating a jig would be the best approach allowing you to repeat the same identical cut for all the slats. I've thrown together a render of an option, and it looks like it would be a great weekend project. Were there any particular designs you had in mind?

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if here had some ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Walter

@MitchellMc 

Something like that is pretty much what I had in mind.

I'm not good with power tools, LOL, so something like that would have to be ready made, or I could get one of my friends to do it as a project.

redracer01
Trusted Contributor

Hello @Walter 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. If there was ever a time to try your hand at DIY now's the time! This project can be made in many ways and does not have to look like the stuff we draw here. It all boils down to planning and preparation if you have the time then this particular DIY project should be a great starter project for you. Plus it is a great excuse to buy tools and build up your experience in using them. Below is my suggestion for your weather station pretty close to @MitchellMc 's suggestion I just opted for the gabled roof. You can make this more practical by attaching shelves to the post and putting potted plants on them to make it more attractive. Enjoy the drawing and ponder the possibilities! Oh and if you do build it make sure to put mozzie mesh inside to make sure you don't get any uninvited guests. It also makes a great hiding spot for the spare key!

Cheers,

Red

walter1.jpgwalter2.jpgwalter3.jpgwalter4.jpgwalter5.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.
Please visit the Bunnings website
if you need assistance from the Bunnings customer service team.

Walter

@redracer01 ,

Excellent ideas there. I never thought of the fly screen mesh, nor shelves.  That might be a good thing.

I have some tools, but I'm by no means an expert, and If I were to try to make it with a jig etc, I guarantee it will be a mess.

Now, give me a 3D Printer, and I'm a an expert at design and printing. A 'puter has a better eye to hand coordination than me, and it's unlikely to bleed if it slips.😂

As it progresses, I'll update.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects