Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor bench using laminated panel

Soledad
Getting Established

Outdoor bench using laminated panel

Hi everyone!. Thanks for your attention!.

I'm building an outdoor bench and I'm looking at the laminated panels as an option for the benchtop.

I'm considering something like the SpecRite Kwila FJ Laminated Panel (https://www.bunnings.co.nz/specrite-2200-x-600-x-26mm-kwila-fj-laminated-panel_p8330163), but I'm unsure if it will be okay handling the rain and the sun.

I was thinking about adding a protection coat (like some deck & exterior stain), but the panel has some oil treatment already, so not sure about it neither!.

I will really appreciate any help, tips, ideas, ... 

Thanks in advance!. I'm looking forward to sharing the final product with the community!.

--

Sole

StevieB_0-1623125230288.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are Laminated Panels good for outdoor use?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Soledad. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Kwila or Merbau (as it is known in Australia) is a hardwood and suitable for exterior use. As per the product description, it is "Perfect for use indoors or outdoors". As these are laminated panels you'll want to keep them oiled so they don't dry out and crack at the glued joints. I would suggest a coat of deck and exterior stain twice a year to be on the safe side. Kwila is great for use outside in the rain and sun and is most commonly used as decking boards in outdoor areas.

The coating on the product at the moment would be suitable for the first six months. I would then apply your own oil to ensure it remains protected from the elements.

We look forward to following along with your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their projects here all the time.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc , thank you very much for your answer. I will give it a try then!.

Can I use the circular saw with this panel?.

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Soledad,

Yes, you can use a circular saw. I have recently cut a similar hardwood laminated panel and there were no issues. I did cover the panel on both sides with painter's tape along the line I wanted to cut. I then marked my lines onto the painter's tape and cut through it. This stops splinters being ripped out of the board along the cut line.

Mitchell

Awesome!, Thanks for the tip, @MitchellMc .

Off to Bunnings I go after work.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Soledad,

We'll be looking forward to following your build. Please remember to take lots of photos along the way and keep us updated on your progress.

If you have any more questions feel free to let us know. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Hi. Are these same panels suitable for indoor use as kitchen shelves left natural without sealing? 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MattMcL. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

The SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Kwila FJ Laminated Panel found in our New Zealand stores would be the equivalent of the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau FJ Laminated Panel in Australia. They can be used for a variety of projects, both indoors and out. They would be suitable left unsealed for use as kitchen shelves. However, natural unsealed timber is susceptible to stains and marks, so bear that in mind.

@JoeAzza recently shared a project on their overhead laundry cupboards in which they used Bondall 250ml Satin Monocel Clear Timber Varnish. I was very impressed by how it retained the natural look of the timber yet also provided the protection of a sealer;

We'd love to hear more about your kitchen shelf project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for your projects within the community as our clever and creative members contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

I completed this a long time ago (around November) but I forgot to upload the photos. Very happy with the result ... maybe it could help for some ideas.

IMG_20201206_201957.jpgIMG-20201101-WA0018.jpgIMG_20201116_195024.jpgIMG_20201115_210430.jpgIMG_20201122_160846.jpgIMG_20201206_201945.jpg

PS: The Kwila panel is holding fine, but it did arch at the beginning with rain and sun so I haven't fixed the bench to the body. The bench is super heavy so it is not going anywhere anyway. I just flipped it a couple of times and now it is all good.

PS2: I also added a little door on the side, following the same pattern.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wow, that looks sensational @Soledad. I'm thrilled to hear that it all turned out brilliantly for you.

Many thanks for coming back to us with some images of your completed project. It really helps paint the complete picture for any members coming across your discussions.

Great work!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects