Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor built-in BBQ project

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Outdoor built-in BBQ project

About to start my next project and is something I’ve never tackled before - an outdoor built-in BBQ.

Thought I would share my progress as I’ll no doubt have a few questions along the way and hopefully this can help others as well.

Im a bit stuck on what materials to use for cladding/cabinetry as will be exposed to the weather particularly the left hand side. I was planning on building the frame from treated pine, finish with timber and then most likely paint. Any advice on materials or any watch outs?

Cheers!

8DB7B905-482B-4E6F-8D5F-72709FBC76AA.jpeg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Built-In BBQ Project

Hi @JustinS,

My only advice would be to paint or seal the marine-grade ply if you choose to use it. Although it is marine-grade ply I have found that it can still swell from excessive moisture. Instead of using ply for the cabinetry, you might like to consider using decking. Here's a great example: Outdoor barbecue cabinet using recycled timber by @She_Skills

Let me mention a few of our keen woodworkers @Poppop, @woodenwookie and @r23on to see if they would like to join the conversation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Great help thanks @MitchellMc 🙌🏼

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Progress shot

30F85AA8-EE32-43FE-8B7B-E4BE8DBA8CD0.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JustinS,

That's looking great so far.

Were you able to put some thin plastic packers under this frame? It might not be an issue at all but it would be great if you could keep the timber isolated from the deck. Any water that hits the deck near the base of the frame will be absorbed up into it through capillary action. The packers would prevent this from happening and potentially stop the interior of the cabinet becoming moist.

Many thanks for keeping us updated.

Mitchell

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc yes I’ll be putting packers under the base, cheers for the advice.

Is blueboard ok to use as cladding under BBQ or am I better to use another type of cement sheet for heat resistant?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@JustinS,

I can't really give you an answer on whether blueboard would be ok to use as it is not rated or tested for that application. I would have to err on the side of caution with advice and personally, I would use something thicker like compressed FC sheeting. I'd rather have 12mm of cement in between the bbq and timber than 7.5mm. That's just my opinion though.

Let me mention some helpful members @ProjectPete, @Brad, @Stuardo@TedBear, @Walzz, @Kermit to see if they would like to join the conversation.

Mitchell

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc will check out the cement sheeting.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your project going @JustinS? Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

We are also looking forward to an update with your progress. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects