Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor cabana and poolside paving

Jesse1
Having an Impact

Outdoor cabana and poolside paving

A571E416-F75D-442E-B560-8FC0CC4CB1D4.jpeg

I thought I would share our latest project which is an outdoor area to relax beside the pool. As this area faces directly west, and consequently extremely hot in summer time (Hervey Bay), we needed somewhere to sit and relax before the sun actually went down. 

We purchased the cabana from Bunnings and it is essentially a powder coated frame with curtaining which winds through the roof section and can be raised or lowered as needed. As we also get a considerable amount of breeze sideways in the area, we found the curtains would slide over to one side. I decided to cut the curtains in half and make a pocket at the top of all four sections and then threaded them onto the top rails. This way we can control the light or breeze in all four sections and tie them back when not required. 

We also purchased 2 rolls of screening which we laid on the roof section so that there is filtered light. 

We paved the floor with reclaimed terracotta pavers which we obtained free of charge from a neighbour who was pulling up a driveway in order to lay concrete. 

The area is beautifully warm at the moment however we also purchased a Chiminea from Bunnings for days when we still would like to sit and enjoy our garden and it’s a little cooler.  We now have an area that can be used year round and we’re loving it 

494E2BB1-5C9D-487C-86A7-7B8F2CE9B8E5.jpeg

F7120E8D-3BD6-4CD0-B991-14101336BFE2.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor cabana and poolside paving

Hi @Jesse1

Thank you very much for sharing your cabana project. Those pavers should be perfect for sunny weather as they act as thermal sinks and will absorb the heat during the day and release it during the evening. I suggest keeping the curtains up so that the pavers can get as warm as possible. I can already see that this will get a lot of use when the weather starts getting warm. 

Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful cabana project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects