Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor dining and fire pit area

nathanh
Building a Reputation

Outdoor dining and fire pit area

BE60F5D5-6F4F-49F8-9B69-43AB1CE25BDD.jpeg

Here is a basic DIY gazebo and deck for an outdoor dining space with a small fire pit area that I put together during lockdown 2.0 last year. A great way to renovate a little space in the backyard. 

I started by relocating an old shed that was mostly holding junk, giving me access to an almost flat concrete slab to fix some 90x90x2400 treated pine posts too. The frame is a very simple butt jointed rectangle with 90x35 MGP10 pine and I used 90x22 treated pine decking boards. For the roof I used 10 colorbond fencing inserts in Monument and colour matched some exterior paint which I used on the framing. The decking boards and seats got 3 coats of walnut stain.

6C6B4955-9EF3-416C-8047-B05296880ABD.jpeg

F1EEC103-FD28-4CD8-806D-D6461B284402.jpeg

5A3216F5-DDB9-4CD5-913C-69063479883B.jpeg

69A28859-5CCC-41FE-981E-AB37D1587D17.jpeg

16A24F1E-156A-4A2B-AC68-151DEC3CCFCA.jpeg

The fire pit area sits a little higher than the dining space, which was dictated only by the uneven slope of the slab. I used a piece of 190x35 MGP10 as base board at the end of the dining area to create the raised platform look, which I’m actually happy that it went that way as it makes it look more like two segregated areas. Although this did mean I had to make some makeshift stairs from some old sleepers I had lying around, which I coated in stain after a thorough sanding. The fire pit is a Jumbuck conical fire pit also from Bunnings, which fit the small space perfectly and the colour also matched the frame.

22CE02A4-8088-4732-9CC1-17ECE20CC766.jpeg

I added some wire balustrade around the whole area to further divide the two spaces and to stop my nephew from getting into mischief.

Finally I painted some old timber bed frames and fixed them vertically to create some vertical gardens using mostly succulents as it is a difficult spot to water. I also used some fairy lights and wired in a single light over the dining area to make it a nice little spot at night.

9405D08B-1170-423C-BBB6-C28EDCB4C458.jpeg

46FD03B1-54A7-4399-94AA-328EA52328F3.jpeg

B4BB2E2E-AADA-4CAD-8EE5-B8FF0D60BCFD.jpeg

If I could give any advice after having completed the project it would be to measure the width of your table and chairs together before developing the space. I measured the table, forgetting that the chairs that matched it were quite wide and as such barely fit so we have to use different chairs with larger numbers.

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Outdoor Dining and Fire Pit area

This whole project looks stunning @nathanh, love the use of the lights as well, awesome job! 

Remarka6le
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor dining and fire pit area

Congratulations @nathanh, it looks like a wonderful space that you'll be able to enjoy many happy times with friends and family in the years to come.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure many community members will get inspired by what you have done. Look out for plenty of questions coming your way from those wanting to replicate your handiwork. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

This is such a great outdoor space @nathanh! I love how lush it looks in the daylight and magical in the evening. Thank you for sharing your learnings, I have overlooked chair allocation before myself and it can be a bit frustrating, but it looks like you have found the perfect solution. 

Was it hard to level your deck on an uneven slab? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@nathanh 

Nice effort :smile: I like the stain you have used for the deck and posts. From a little used area to something that would be nice to sit in you have done well :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects