Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor enamel paint leaching on verandah rails

Gofinn
Getting Established

Outdoor enamel paint leaching on verandah rails

Hi

After light sanding (beige) I applied over the existing rail  an outdoor metal epoxy enamel paint to a verandah rails

( I combined 2 different brands Black with some white to get a grey all epoxy enamel)

An hour later it started raining for a number of hours

next day the paint appears to have leached exposing / washing

off the paint.

Q: is it the rain or the mixing of paints ?

20210915_120242.jpg20210915_120252.jpg20210915_120306.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor enamel paint leaching on verandah rails

Hello @Gofinn

Thank you so much for sharing your question about outdoor paint leaching onto your verandah rails.

I'm sorry to hear that the paint has not worked properly. Some brands are just not compatible and produce unpredictable results when mixed together. Then the rain came and did its damage to your paint job. I suspect that it was a combination of both factors that produced this current result. I suggest thoroughly sanding down your verandah rails and start from the beginning. This will guarantee that no other paint will interfere with the following paint job. 

I recommend using White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint - 0.5L. This will provide a good base for the paint to adhere to. I suggest using White Knight Rust Guard Gloss White Epoxy Enamel Paint - 1L tinted to the colour that you like.  Using a linked painting system will guarantee that it will produce a superior finish. 

Any updates you can provide while painting your verandah rails would be much appreciated. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gofinn
Getting Established

Thanks Eric

I was afraid that I may have to restart.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gofinn

I always think of it as a learning experience. We learn something new that adds to our DIY knowledge. Give it another go! If you need more advice or information, please let us know, we are more than happy to help. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects