Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

20210507_142744.jpegG'day DIYers. Thought I'd share with you the biggest DIY project I've ever attempted. We're basically extending our alfresco area to include an awning, deck and outdoor kitchen. 

Here is the space, I hope you enjoy the journey as I embark upon new DIY methods never done before. I consider myself quite handy, happy to give anything a crack once. 

20201106_163957.jpg

We started with the awning. I was going to purchase a kit and install it myself. Stratco kits were so expensive so I employed a local builder to supply and install for pretty much the same cost. 

The goal for the whole project was to produce a maintenance free area. So we chose the use of steel and composite materials throughout.

The awning consists of aluminium posts, beams and gutters. The ceiling is insulated and we incorporated 2 led lights to match the LEDs in situ under the alfresco.

20201120_205646.jpg

To ensure the space is weatherproof, I constructed a steel frame using Krauff tracks and wall studs from Bunnings. This is to support the blueboard sheets.

20201227_182202.jpg

Mounting the sheets was difficult, just because of the weight of the material. Thank goodness for quick grips.

20201228_153235.jpg

Then I applied the cement joint compound to cover the joints and screw heads.

20201229_133037.jpg

We chose the finish the kitchen splashback with Dulux Texturecoat. First we primed the wall.

20201231_170135.jpg

Nearly stopped the project there and converted the area to a home cinema,  but we pressed on and applied the texturecoat.

20210102_155933.jpg

Then it was time to construct the deck. The sub-floor would be built using 100x500x2.0 galvanised steel bearers and joists on a single plane. The 2 main bearers would be attached to the side of the alfresco slab and attached to the awning posts. The bearer on the house side is 7m in length and extends beyond the alfresco to the retaining wall. Getting those 2 bearers installed was challenging due the weight and lengths.

20210222_164216.jpg

After that I set the posts and attached the remaining bearers and joists.

20210228_102739.jpg

20210228_102648.jpg

Prior to this I ran power and water from nearby sources. I also have a stormwater drain at the rear corner where the awning gutters feed into. 

The sub-floor follows the level of the alfresco which falls away to the rear of the yard. This is evident when you see the bottom of the splashback and the level of the bearer. 

IMG_20210305_050501_991.jpg

After completing the sub-floor, we ordered the composite decking from Bunnings (ekodeck) and installed the boards. I chose to install breaker boards to avoid any butt joints in the decking boards. 

20210307_171748.jpg

20210307_201924.jpg

And added some chairs for looks.

20210309_130908.jpg

Kitchen construction time. Another trip to Bunnings to purchase appliances and the material for the kitchen cabinets. In keeping with the maintenance free theme I choose 65mm Klauff steel tracks and wall studs. They were built around the 2 door Matadoor fridge also purchased from Bunnings. 

20210314_151811.jpg

So that's where I'm up to as at 12 March 2021. Will keep you posted as I continue. Next step, connect power for the fridge, purchase cabinet cladding, bench tops and install sink and bbq rangehood.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Paul.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: outdoor kitchen project (incl deck and awning)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @funksoulbro1. We're so glad you've joined us. Please feel free to ask for advice if you need any help with any of your D.I.Y. We're here to help.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

Great work Paul (@funksoulbro1

It's coming together beautifully. Really looking forward to seeing the outdoor kitchen installed.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get plenty of help and inspiration from other members. I certainly know that many will be inspired by what you have done. Thanks so much for sharing your project with us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tony1982
Building a Reputation

Wow! Looks great

Wow and Wow @funksoulbro1 it looks so good.

Thanks too for the step by step photos of your progress.

Stuart.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a really impressive build, Paul (@funksoulbro1)!

I'll be waiting with bated breath to see the installed kitchen and outcome. You've made some really great decisions on the elements to include. 

Many thanks for sharing your project, as I trust it will be a fantastic inspiration for our members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Re: outdoor kitchen project (incl deck and awning)

Thanks Jane.

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Thanks Jason. Will keep you posted.

Paul

Cheers Tony.

Paul

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

No worries Stuart. More to come.

Paul.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects