Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted plastic wicker lounge with tile paint

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Painted plastic wicker lounge with tile paint

So pleased with the boho vibe and nice fresh clean result!So pleased with the boho vibe and nice fresh clean result!

Our outdoor wicker lounge was in good condition, but I was tired of the dark brown and thought I'd try to paint it. After much thought I decided to give it a go. After using tile paint for our bathroom and kitchen DIY makeovers, I had the crazy idea to use it on the plastic wicker. The whole problem with painting plastic is that it is hard to adhere because it is smooth, but so were my ultra glossy tiles and I figured the paint stuck to that:)

The first step was to clean the pieces, there were four in total and give them a rough sand.

After receiving advice from a Bunnings staff member I used the White Knight Grip lock primer so as the paint had something to adhere to and perfect for plastic and shiny slippery surfaces. I then applied two coats of the White Knight tile paint in plain white. 

I covered the cushions with painters drop sheets, Monarch 3 pack which was such amazing thick canvas and also gave a boho kind of vibe. I stenciled some patterns on as well using fabric paint.

I am just soooo pleased with the result and has given the outdoor patio such a clean fresh appearance and feel. 

I made a video on the whole process so I will put a link here if anyone is interested in doing the same thing:)

YouTube Video "I Painted My Brown Plastic Wicker White With *TILE PAINT* >> https://youtu.be/4tcXmdFY7L4 

YouTube Video "How I Covered My Outdoor Cushions With Drop Sheets" >> https://youtu.be/MwaaNYKEhnY Our old brown plastic wicker outdoor lounge was in good condition but was old and tired.Our old brown plastic wicker outdoor lounge was in good condition but was old and tired.Before the transformation.Before the transformation.After the second coat of tile paint and finally finished.After the second coat of tile paint and finally finished.After the transformation but before replacing the newly covered cushions.After the transformation but before replacing the newly covered cushions.It came up so much better than I thought and is so hard wearing.It came up so much better than I thought and is so hard wearing.I made cushion covers from Bunnings drop sheet canvas fabric and added stencil patterns with fabric paint.I made cushion covers from Bunnings drop sheet canvas fabric and added stencil patterns with fabric paint.The first coat was the White Knight Grip Lock Primer.The first coat was the White Knight Grip Lock Primer.Then  two coats of White Knight tile paint.Then two coats of White Knight tile paint.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Painted plastic wicker lounge with tile paint

Hi @daniknight4,

Let me first extend a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community. It is great that you've decided to join us and share your DIY July paint project. This is a fantastic project, it may make it into our Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects on day. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. 

You are definitely serving some amazing boho vibes with your white transformation and homemade seat cushion covers. I'll definitely be trying this one myself, thank you for including your videos! How is the tile paint holding up? With a primer and 2 coats I would imagine that it is staying on very well. 

Well done!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Katie, 

Thank you. The tile paint is amazingly tough stuff, surprisingly, because I must admit I was a bit worried myself before trying it. We did a kitchen and bathroom DIY makeover and most of it was the tile paint. We have it in our shower recess on the floor and walls and I always think how amazingly durable it is, so why not the plastic wicker!:) 

Also love the painters drop sheet cushion covers. Love the colour, the thickness and the price, such value for money. Might try to the drop sheets for some slip covers for the couches too.

Thank you for sharing @daniknight4 glad it is holding up well. 

Definitely keep us posted on your drop sheet slipcovers!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects