Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting stone concrete pots

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Painting stone concrete pots

Completed project.Completed project.

Hi all

I have these two pots which have seen better days I want to restore them what paint should I be using and steps. 

Thanks in advance

DSC_0371.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting stone concrete pots

Hello @notshyofeffort

Thank you for sharing your question about painting stone concrete pots.

Upcycling your pots with paint is one of the best ways to freshen up their appearance. This also serves as a good time to refresh the soil in your pot. Put your plant in a temporary container for the moment. Because you have an older pot it will be necessary to give it a good clean. Use a Sabco Handled Scrub Brush and some soapy water to clean the outside and inside of the pot. Make sure to thoroughly wash the pot in water and that it is free of soap. Place the pot in full sunlight to make sure that it is totally dry.

The next step is to seal the pot with the Crommelin 750ml Ornamental Sealer. Once the seal dries, you can then proceed to paint the pot with your preferred colour. Please keep us updated, I'm sure our members are keen to see your newly painted pots.

Here is a link to a step-by-step guide: How to upcycle terracotta pots

If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL  - exterior acrylic paint such as Dulux Weathershield   should be fine right?

Hello @notshyofeffort 

That is an excellent choice! The Dulux Wethersfield is the ideal paint to use for outdoor applications. I recommend a minimum of at least two coats to give you full colour coverage. Very keen on seeing these pots once you've painted them.

Eric

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

This is what was achieved. Thanks for help.

DSC_0377.JPGDSC_0376.JPGDSC_0375.JPGDSC_0374.JPG

Wow @notshyofeffort!

Those look sensational and now have a whole new lease on life, thanks to your efforts. I can't believe how fantastic they turned out. I'm sure you're really pleased with the results, too.

No doubt @EricL will be just as impressed. I've tagged him, so he is notified of your post.

Many thanks for sharing, and we look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

Hello @notshyofeffort 

What a total transformation! Thank you so much for posting your updated photos. I'm sure this project will inspire a lot of our members to give this a go. I see that you've included your planter boxes in the makeover as well. Have you thought about what plants you are going to put in them? Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your next makeover.

Eric

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL that will be my next question in workshop what to grow in planters. I will post that separately.

I love the help and positivity on workshop.

pam25
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, do you need to seal both inside and outside of the pot?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pam25. It's excellent to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting pots.

You'll need to seal the inside of the pots with Crommelin 750ml Ornamental Sealer. This prevents moisture inside the pot from travelling through it and pushing your paint off the outside surface. Next, you'll need to seal/prime the outside of your pot, so your paint will adhere to the surface, and you can do that with Dulux 300g Duramax Terracotta Primer And Sealer. It's suitable for priming terracotta, brick and concrete.

Have a look at the helpful step-by-step guide: How to upcycle terracotta pots

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects