Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patio concrete paving repair

sonia74
Finding My Feet

Patio concrete paving repair

Hi fellow members, I am a newbie and totally non savvy to handy work/ repairs around the house. My pavers under the pergola are shifting away and developing gaps. I got the end cemented about 2.5 years ago to stop them from moving but now the cement is chipping away (pictures attached for reference) I want to fix it myself this time. Can someone suggest a solution? I saw some stuff and not sure if that will do the repair? ( picture attached)

20210122_134532.jpg

20210122_134525.jpg

20210125_110955.jpg

20210125_111004.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: patio concrete paving repair

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sonia74. It's great to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. We're confident that you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful community members, who are sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day.

Let me tag @Adam_W and @Yorky88 to see if they might like to kick off this discussion for you. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patio concrete paving repair

Hi @sonia74,

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but I'd presume the pavers are sinking down on the side where the concrete has disintegrated and opened up the gap between them. I can't see any reason why they would be migrating sideways significantly. Is this a highly trafficked area and do you have any idea why the cement is so degraded only after two-and-a-half years? I know you've mentioned these pavers are under a pergola, but does a car drive over this area? 

As a temporary solution, the product you have shown would fill the gap between the pavers. What really needs to happen is the last row of pavers has to be lifted and the ground compacted and levelled. The pavers would get relaid, and the cement edging formed up and poured.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for getting back to me Mitchell, the area is not a heavy trafficked area and no car or heavy roller wheels can possibly be whelled over. From your suggestion it seems like I will have to get a paving person in to relay the last row.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sonia74,

It's interesting then that you are seeing so much movement, including the cement edging completely disintegrating. To fix the subsidence, you would need to lift the last row. If you are happy to live with the movement, you can fill the gap between pavers with Selley's Mortar Works.

You might like to attempt this project yourself, and I trust you'd find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay paving for a path by @Adam_W.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects