Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Picture frame decking frame dimensions?

Alan__
Building a Reputation

Picture frame decking frame dimensions?

Hello,

I may be missing something obvious but here goes.

I am building a picture frame deck and have 135mm x 19mm Spotted Gum decking boards. What should the measurement be from the outer frame to the next joist to be able to support the picture frame (with a slight overhang of the decking board and a facial board)?

What should i be considering here?

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Picture Frame Decking Frame

Hi @Alan__,

It's a little bit tricky to work out exactly where the next joist should be to allow nailing off of the picture frame and decking boards. Since the picture frame board is 135mm wide, you'll need a couple of 45mm spacers to nail into and then your first joist to capture the ends of the decking boards. Instead of having the two spacers at nailing points, you could just make it one noggin.

I hope the rendering I've created for you below makes it more straightforward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alan__
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the great reply @MitchellMc . 

It helps me visualise what is required.

Appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems @Alan__ . Reach out if you need further assistance. As chance would have it, I'm outside in the blistering heat, laying decking boards this very moment.

Mitchell

Alan__
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

The framing is now complete. Thanks again for your initial input.

Could you please recommend any resources or provide some tips as to how to approach laying the decking boards for a picture frame decking? i.e. do you do the picture frame border first then fill internally with the boards or just place the first board down and go from there? Also, any tips to get the first board straight for a freestanding deck would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Picture frame decking frame dimensions?

Hello @Alan__

It's great to hear that you've made progress with your deck framing. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your newly assembled frame and its measurements? This will give us a better idea of how it's laid out. We can then offer you a comprehensive recommendation on how to proceed. Below are a few things to consider when laying down your decking panels.

• It's always a good idea to use a builders line to help you line up a decking panel.
  • The fascia board is often the first panel attached and is used as a reference for the first panel on top.
  • The picture frame is always assembled first.
  • Make sure the inside of your picture frame is square. Once the picture frame is laid out you can then calculate the number of panels it will take to fill that space inside the frame.
  • Remember to take panel gaps into your equations.
  • Keep in mind that there is the possibility that the decking frame is not totally square and one side might be a few millimeters off. 
  • Always take into consideration that you are using a natural product and there will be imperfections to the decking panels. 

Let me call on @MitchellMc in case he has more suggestions to add. 

We look forward to seeing the photos and measurements.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Alan__,

@EricL has it spot on. Start with your fascia board and work in from there. Once the fascia boards are attached, you can use spacers to set the position of the picture frame. Once that is in place, you can start laying your boards. I'm using these Macsim Fasteners 150 x 100 x 5mm Yellow Full Shims on my deck.

I also came up with this handy little jig. I just took a scrap of the decking board and screwed a spacer into its side. I then pre-drilled two holes where I'd like my screws positioned. The jig is used to space the boards whilst also positioning your screws. 

Mitchell

Packers1.pngPackers2.png

Alan__
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL @MitchellMc 

Thanks again for your continued advice and support.

Photo is below. We are currently levelling the frame using Tuffblocks and will be putting down drainage membrane and rock.

The frame measures 3057mm x 3827mm. 

We are using 135mm x 19mm Spotted Gum.

We calculated a 10mm overhang with facia boards on three sides (not against studio).

There is a 400mm gap between joists (90 x 45).

Could you recommend a mitre saw keeping in mind that it will only be used for this project?

The jig was a great suggestion as well and will look at doing the same.

Thanks again.

PXL_20220107_010706732.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Alan__,

What did you need the mitre saw for? Are you intending on cutting all the boards to length with it before laying them? If so, you'd be much better off laying them all and then coming back with a circular saw and cutting across all the ends in one straight line. Much easier to get a precise uniform finish and a lot less work. Otherwise, the budget-friendly Ozito 210mm 1600W 8¼" Compound Mitre Saw would be fine for a one-off job. I've used a similar one for many years on multiple projects.

Mitchell

Alan__
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc 

As it is a picture frame would how would it be possible to do as you suggest with the circular saw?

Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects