Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Picture frame decking frame dimensions?

Alan__
Building a Reputation

Picture frame decking frame dimensions?

Hello,

I may be missing something obvious but here goes.

I am building a picture frame deck and have 135mm x 19mm Spotted Gum decking boards. What should the measurement be from the outer frame to the next joist to be able to support the picture frame (with a slight overhang of the decking board and a facial board)?

What should i be considering here?

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Picture Frame Decking Frame

Hi @Alan__

I believe @MitchellMc's suggestion takes into account that one side of the picture frame panels will be removed temporarily and it is on this open side that you will cut the excess panel lengths with the circular saw. However, if you are laying the panels in a staggered formation then using the Ozito 210mm 1600W 8¼" Compound Mitre Saw will make cutting single panels easier.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@EricL is correct @Alan__. You'd leave one of the picture frame boards off the end and run the circular saw along to cut all the boards to length. Set the depth on the saw so it only cuts through the board and not into the frame beneath. You might like to leave off the two exterior boards that have the 45-degree cuts on them that make up the picture frame to ensure you don't cut through them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Alan__
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc  @EricL 

Thanks for the advice.

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects