Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool fence compliance - Can door stopper wedges be used to make the top of tile non climbable?

Sheeba
Growing in Experience

Pool fence compliance - Can door stopper wedges be used to make the top of tile non climbable?

alfresco - top of tile is not compliantalfresco - top of tile is not compliant

IMG_0213.jpeg

Delf 22mm Black Builders Wedge - 10 Pack

Question: thinking of using few of these rubber wedges lined up side by side  to make the top of the tile no climbable, will it work? anyone tried it or used it? inspector advised to install 60 degree wedge, looking for simple, cost effective solution, please help!

many thanks in advance!

Sheeba

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Pool fence compliance - Can door stopper wedges be used to make the top of tile non climbable?

Good afternoon @Sheeba 

I would suggest not. I think they would actually raise the likelyhood of someone being able to climb. I had a squiz at the pool laws for Australia/NSW and it says 1200mm from the finished surface. I would ask your inspector for claification on the tile height maybe?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pool fence compliance - Can door stopper wedges be used to make the top of tile non climbable?

Hi @Sheeba,

As @Dave-1 has mentioned, that would be a question best posed to the inspector.  If they didn't suggest it needs to be a specific type of anti-climb wedge and that it only needed to have an angle of 60 degrees or less, then one could assume this wedge would be suitable, but we really couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I have a similar concern to Dave that due to the wedge being thicker than the tile, even though it's a slope instead of an edge, it could make it easier to climb. The ridged nature of the wedge would also enable grip for shoes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sheeba
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave, I've sought further clarification, as you've already picked up, there's couple other points of non compliance, for which 1200 mm perspex has been suggested however not for this area and also same issue exists at the other end of alfresco which hasn't been picked up at all in the report, so it's all very confusing and inconsistent. Any ideas/suggestions very welcome.

Photos belowIMG_0215.jpegIMG_0214.jpeg

Sheeba
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Many thanks for response, am thinking a timber wedge but I dont have tools to cut a big piece of timber,  hoping a few of these might work?

IMG_0216.jpeg

am also looking for some perpex sheets that will make the gates and side fence lip/bottom non climbable, photos below, really appreciate any suggestions

IMG_0215.jpegIMG_0214.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Sheeba 

I think the inspector is concerned about someone being able to lever themselves up either using that verticle post or that height if the tile (1200mm rule)

Maybe something the depth of the tile up past the 1200mm point? As in another tile attached to to the wall?

As for the gate and that post Maybe more perspex to stop a child wedging their feet into the post and also levering the poolfence to wedge themselves upwards?  I know I managed to climb things I look at now and go now way when I was a child.

I think I need to revist my pool fence now 😕 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sheeba 

I was thinking about the suggestion made to put Perspex in front of the pool gate so that the kids can't get a toe hold on the bars. Have you considered doing the same thing for the timber side of the gate. I propose using a Perspex sheet to cover the ridges of the wall and fixing it in place using Zenith 8G x 30mm Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws. The screw heads are round and flat and will not allow you to get a foothold on them.

I recommend having a look at the Suntuf 900 x 600 x 5mm Clear Acrylic Sheet it's about as thick as a ceramic tile and is very strong. Please make sure to ask the inspector before you take any action. It's important that the proposed solutions will pass their judgement.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects