Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poolside timber cabana build

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Poolside timber cabana build

IMG-20210119-WA0022.jpg#Wifey set me the challenge of building a cabana by our pool area to make better use of some somewhat wasted space and of course create a beautiful, relaxing space for us. So, I thought I'd post some progress shots along the way. Bear with me frequency/timing wise as I'm building it on the odd day I have free so will likely be done over a few weekends.

Happy to answer questions along the way and would love to hear what you think 🙂

The "wasted space"

20201010_120912.jpg   20201010_121041.jpg

Double rebate join on all posts.

Gives a professional finish up top and allows the fixings to be more easily hidden.

20201010_163736.jpg

Setting the posts.

The two posts on the rear boundary were Dynabolted to limestone retaining wall and concreted in, while the other two posts were concreted 600mm into the ground.

20201011_112838.jpg   20201011_115203.jpg

Concrete footing for breeze block feature wall.

This was just marking it out (forgot to get an equally boring photo of the concrete in the hole/trench).

20201011_142030.jpg

Testing the pointed overhang.

At the same time as confirming all levels are bang on, I was checking how much we want the pointed ends to overhang.

20201011_163304.jpg

Breeze block feature wall is next...

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Poolside timber cabana build

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rachel4. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fantastic project.

Hopefully, @ProjectPete can fill us in on what he's used. In the meantime, I suspect it was something similar to this reed screening.

Do you have a similar project in the works, or were you just fond of the screening used here?

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and encourage you to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GavMat
Finding My Feet

Thank you Pete for documenting your Cabana project.

I would find it very helpful if you were to include the type and size of the timbers you used in your project.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gavin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Gavin (@GavMat). It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fantastic project.

Let me mention @ProjectPete, so he is notified of your question. I'd say there is a good chance that he uses 90mm posts and 120 x 45mm or perhaps  138 x 30mm 5.4m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP for the beams. I'm sure he'd be happy to clarify exactly what he's used.

Are you planning a cabana project? We'd love to hear all about it and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a pergola

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell,

Your information is very helpful.

Regards,

Gavin

ps apologies if my reply is duplicated.  I couldn't find the original reply.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects