Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Portico / front entry deck

ihavenews0cks
Getting Established

Portico / front entry deck

A97205DE-53DB-4E51-B12F-2A96F6133ED0.png

B6583588-E2A7-4592-813E-C08A571E4139.jpeg

9DC8E263-B5E7-4F1A-AC3E-39E49EDD665E.jpeg

  

789808A3-B535-4C29-B12D-9B320F98BE22.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a peruse of the discussions on decks which are brilliant – I still have a couple of questions. 

I’m wanting to build a small deck under our entryway / portico. I’ve attached some photos of the space and the inspiration. 

1. Do I need ledger boards along the inside brick walls? I’ve seen quite a few people just using angle brackets to bolt the joists directly into the concrete.

2. I was going to use pedestal foots half way along the raise the joists, however, given it’s concrete, will angle brackets bolted to the concrete do the trick?

3. I’m wanting to picture frame the whole deck, though the corners of this space are a bit tricky, does anyone have any advice?

*the only error in the picture framing image is I’ll be putting the edging on the outside, this image has it as part of the upper frame. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Portico / front entry deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ihavenews0cks. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about deck construction.

You do not need to use ledger boards. They are just an easy way to hold up a deck where you can't place any other supports on the ground. In your case, I see no reason to use them unless you feel it will be easier for you.

It's perfectly fine to use angle brackets mid joist. However, the pedestal feet are a simple and efficient way to support them.

Was there anything in particular that you thought would be difficult about the picture framing in the corners? Perhaps you were wondering how to get the correct angles? If so, the Craftright 300mm Digital Angle Finder would come in handy.

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc , thanks so much for your reply!

In terms of the picture framing, I’m just unsure about the perimeter frame, would I need a frame around the perimeter to attach the boards to?

Because there is a pillar and small corner space (see bottom of plans) not sure how this would attach.

Your frame would have to go around the entire perimeter, so the end of the boards have something to nail off to @ihavenews0cks. You might like to make this frame in a couple of pieces if it's difficult to fit otherwise.

Mitchell

Awesome! Thanks heaps @MitchellMc 

Do you have any recommendations on how far apart to put the L brackets along the joist (running the 2314mm length)?

Also, any recommendations on which screws to use to attach to the concrete and joists?

@ihavenews0cks,

Having a bracket at either end and then two equally spaced in the middle around 771mm and 1542mm be more than adequate. You could have just the one in the middle, but a span of 1157mm is on the larger size.

Ramset 10 x 75mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt would be sufficient for fixing the brackets to the concrete, and Zenith 14G x 50mm Galvanised Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws can be used to join the bracket to the joist. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects