Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy screen for pergola

Bankzee
Having an Impact

Privacy screen for pergola

Wanted a bit of privacy after getting the new Pergola installed and was struggling with how to fill the 4 metre gaps between the steel posts. I saw that funksoulbro1 used steel studs and track in their Alfresco extension so I decided to also use steel as a framing solution. This is my first DIY project and absolutely loved it. I have no trade experience, just handy with a table saw, drop saw and drill. The result didn't turn out too bad.

Privacy Screen2.jpg

Materials

Steel Studs and Track

Merbau Decking Boards

Lattice Makers Falling Leaves Screen Panel

Marine Plywood for backing behind screen panel

Exterior Paint for Marine Plywood backing

Decking Oil for Screens and Merbau

Zenith 8G x 12mm Metal Screws for fastening studs to track

Zenith 8G x 30 White Button Head Screws for fastening Merbau and Screen Panels to Studs

Corrugated Iron for weather protection on the external facing side of wall

The old privacy screen was a quick solution to give both sides of the fence some privacy when the Pergola first went up. It was a simple solution using Whites Screen Up posts and Merbau that would later be recycled in the final permanent screen. in the below pic you can see the first steel track in place on the horizontal rafter. As I was doing this by myself, I found the G clamp worked well as a second set of hands to hold things in place.

Privacy Screen1.jpg

I decided to use white button head screws as they contrast better against the Merbau and tie in rather well with the White Pergola frame. The blue painted ply backing for the Screen Panel is also a good contrast. We were tossing up between Green, Yellow or Blue and as you can see Blue won in the end. Yet to oil the Merbau but the screens have been oiled.

Privacy Screen2.jpg

The Corrugated Iron and Polycarbonate Roofing was from the old Pergola and recycled here to provide some weather protection on the external wall.

Privacy Screen3.jpg

Lessons learned

Measure twice - cut once

Always wear gloves when building with steel - its sharp

Studs are easy to cut with a pair of Straight cut Aviation Snips

Table Saw with metal cutting blade is handy for cutting Corrugated Iron but not all table saws are designed to cut steel.

Make sure the frame is straight and level

And that is it, thanks for reading and I hope this gives some of you inspiration just like funksoulbro1's Alfresco extension did for me.

Regards,

Bankzee

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Privacy screen for pergola

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bankzee. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your wonderful project.

What a corker of a privacy screen! I love the effort you've put into creating a visually interesting screen, not just a functional one. I'm sure @funksoulbro1 will be pleased to hear that their project gave you some good ideas. The steel frame looks like it worked exceptionally well. Would you say it was more challenging to use than timber? I really like the idea of knowing all the framing pieces are perfectly straight and not having to deal with the natural imperfections of timber.

Many thanks for sharing, as I trust your project will inspire our members looking for screening solutions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Great job @Bankzee that has come up a real treat.

Paul

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

That privacy screen is awesome @Bankzee, the colour you've used behind your sceen isn't something I've seen before, but I like it. The contrast between the screws and Merbau is a great touch as well :smile:

Well done

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects