Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Product recommendation for exterior ceiling lighting under eave

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Product recommendation for exterior ceiling lighting under eave

Hi everyone and @EricL

ivanptr_0-1627795379894.png
So we have a ceiling light socket under the eave, and  we want to install something like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-dover-round-stainless-steel-bunker-light_p7072192?store=8199&gclid...

But preferably the fixture can allow motion detection instead of using on/off switch mechanism, which help prevent the occupants from leaving the light on overnight unintentionally.. (There are a lot of bugs and flies at night in our suburb..)

So whoever enter the veranda , getting keys from his pockets in front of the entrance door, the ceiling light over his head can turn on automatically!

Is that even possible? It seems that we need to find a bunker light / outdoor ceiling light with motion detection function for us to enable first + an electrician to remove the light switch on the wall, so everyone can't use the switch to turn on the light😊

Thank you for any ideas / product recommendation..!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Product recommendation for exterior ceiling lighting under eave

Hello @ivanptr

Thank you so much for sharing your question about exterior ceiling lighting under the eave.

There is a bunker light with a motion sensor, it is the Arlec D.I.Y. Oyster Sensor Light. It uses standard bulb fittings so you can put in an LED bulb. If your current light outside has a switch inside the house, you can turn it off at night so that it will not turn on and of by accident. I also recommend Arlec Danby LED Bunker With Security Sensor. This already has the LED in it and there is no need to buy a bulb.

I recommend engaging the services of a registered electrician so that your light is properly installed. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your bunker light installed.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL , we installed Arlec D.I.Y. Oyster Sensor Light but we made a careless mistake by buying the wrong type of light bulb

IMG_20210812_122030.jpg

Then we went through the instruction which says it needs a "B22 base" light bulb.

That's means as long as we find a "B22 base" , it will be fine?

We don't want to buy a B22 base and still end up not being able to fit that in 

IMG_20210812_121938.jpg

Could U recommend us any led light bulbs sold by Bunnings that can be used for Arlec D.I.Y. Oyster Sensor Light?

Thank you very much for any help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

There appears to be plenty of room within that fixture to accept a standard-sized B22 base globe. This Luce Bella 15W 1500lm Warm White A80 LED BC Globe will be suitable.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects