Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Quick cheap gate height extension

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Quick cheap gate height extension

Installed as one piece, ready for a jigsaw cut straight up the guts and some sanding to gap the slats so they dont touch when gates shutInstalled as one piece, ready for a jigsaw cut straight up the guts and some sanding to gap the slats so they dont touch when gates shut

Only took a couple hours and was pretty cheap, I used paddlepop sticks as "spacers" but I wasnt sure whether to level the boards "truely" or whether to follow the same level as the gate which had dropped on one side lols.  I still have a little sanding to do to straighten out the ends.

I love the Bunnings AppI love the Bunnings AppGotta love the Bunnings Map as wellGotta love the Bunnings Map as well

The bits I usedThe bits I used

I had a length of steel I cut up and painted for use as bracketsI had a length of steel I cut up and painted for use as brackets

brackets up, I decided to use a "true level" instead of following the gate lines (gate has dropped over time and isnt level)brackets up, I decided to use a "true level" instead of following the gate lines (gate has dropped over time and isnt level)

Needs a bit more sanding to get the edges straight but its basically upNeeds a bit more sanding to get the edges straight but its basically up

20210712_103524.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Quick cheap gate height extension

Hello @Prawns

Thank you so much for sharing that clever idea of gate extensions.

With a little bit of creative thinking and repurposing of existing materials, you've made quick work of this gate extension. Plus, it blends in so well with your house and existing gate. It's great that you've used the Bunnings Product Finder App to help you easily locate the item that you needed. I'm sure our members will take inspiration from this project and the fact that it was quickly achieved.

We look forward to seeing more clever ideas.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects