Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rear deck with planter box

JoeAzza
Amassing an Audience

Rear deck with planter box

Joe-103320.jpgAfter re levelling my rear sliding door area, I had to repair the surrounding outer walls  and remove the existing deck to do so, as this was an area when it rained, water would accumulate below the deck which has a concrete base, I was concerned that water would flow  underneath the house and cause damage to the foundation. I built the new decking with an incorporated planter box with no base, I did this to allow the rain water to get soaked up by the soil in the planter. I used 105mm x 19mm x5.4 metre merbau. I was going to build the planter box at the same level of the deck, however, my sister came up with a suggestion of making it higher and install vertical slats ( I made my own slats from the merbau decking) on the planter box, I also added a wide board on top of it, which can be utilized as a seat.

IMG_1223 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1219 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1247 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1246 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

FKFO1524.JPG

GYYR5474.JPG

FPBN6713.JPG

DPNN9949.JPG

DZFN5930 - Copy.JPG

CHLC6651.JPG

BAOJ4698.JPG

FXLE1756.JPG

CJYJ3828.JPG

DASD0788.JPG

BQFV3596.JPG

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Rear deck with planter box

Hello @JoeAzza 

It is just so satisfying when the reno looks this good. Thank you for the pictures, it's sure to help others who have the same set up but are a bit hesitant on how to go about it. That planter box is just outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love it @JoeAzza, it looks fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this special project. We've featured it on our Project Gallery as it will inspire many. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

You've made such a difference to the space @JoeAzza.

Thanks for taking the time to include these photos so we can get a good look at the before and after, and all the progress along the way. I'm sure this will be helpful for many in our community.

Stevie

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Awesome job it looks great :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Amazing work as always @JoeAzza! Those vertical slats look splendid.

Many thanks for sharing your fantastic work with the community, as I trust many will find your planter box and new deck quite inspirational.

Mitchell

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Great work ! An abosulte upgrade 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
Laurens
Building a Reputation

I could imagine the shock when you took the first timber of the original decking and saw the nightmare underneath. For me it would have been a case of "OMG what have I started?"
The end result looks perfect and must be a great inspiration to spur you on.

The sky is now the limit

Luckily Bunnings has some great DIY videos and many of their staff have experience to help fill in the gaps (I am not a Bunnings employee :smile: )

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects