Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendation for primer and paint for fence?

NataliaM
Getting Established

Recommendation for primer and paint for fence?

03B4FBA4-02BE-40D6-B038-EECDCCFE77FB.jpeg

Hi, I’m going to be painting my fence and am after some advice on the best process and products. As shown in the image below, one part of the fence is new and the other is older with existing green paint. The new colour we will be painting the entire fence is a dark grey. I’ve already pressure cleaned the old fence and was then going to use a primer on both fences before applying the colour.

Is there any recommendation for a high quality primer and exterior paint to use?

I have an entire 500m square block fence to paint. Would it be recommended that I use a paint gun and if so is there a cost effective option that Bunnings has which is recommended? Thank you. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: fence painting

Hi @NataliaM,

A great place to start is to check out these fantastic fence makeover projects:

You can also find step-by-step instructions for painting your fence through this video:

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help you get started on this project.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recommendation for primer and paint for fence?

Hi @NataliaM,

I would certainly recommend you invest in a spray gun as it will save you so much time and help ensure you get a great result. I used the Dulux RapidFinish spray gun in my fence rejuvenation project that Stevie mentioned. You'll find many people choose Dulux Domino or Monument for projects like this - is that the "dark grey" you've chosen?

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NataliaM

Thank you for sharing your question about what primer and paint to use for your fence.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @StevieB and @Jason. I agree with Jason's recommendation the Dulux Rapidfinish spray gun is a versatile sprayer able to be used on many items including fences. It's a great first tool investment as it has enough control features on it, but does not overwhelm you with it.

The majority of exterior paints no longer require primers. The general rule for painting is if you are painting a bright colour you will need a light base or primer to prevent dark colour tones from being seen. However, if you are painting a very dark colour, it is sometimes not necessary to place a dark primer unless the paint manufacturer specifically asks you to do so. 

An example of this is the Dulux 15L Exterior Paint Weathershield Low Sheen Vivid White Exterior Paint. It can be tinted to your desired colour, it is self-priming, has UV protection and is tough and hardwearing. You will notice that full coverage and colour uniformity is achieved on the second coat.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a fence with a spray gun

Let me tag our experienced member @KingStreetReno for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @NataliaM,

How did you go with this project? We'd love to see your painted fence if you're ready to share.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Stevie

NataliaM
Getting Established

27E30C71-1CD0-4392-AF16-46726A9C60C6.jpeg

Thanks for checking in. It’s a slow and steady process painting a portion each day while my 2 year old naps… but I’m well into the project! We went with dulux weathershield in monument and it’s working a treat! 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for the update @NataliaM and well done for tackling this project bit by bit in what is probably an already hectic day.

Look forward to seeing the end result.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects