Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled pallet trestle table with bench seats

Jjoo6699
Cultivating a Following

Recycled pallet trestle table with bench seats

Screenshot_2021-11-13-00-09-03-47_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-13-00-08-58-59_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-13-00-08-04-71_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

I can't go past these old pallets when they are out the back of Bunnings.  

I have seen them used for ceramic pots, deviders in the building section and to stack timber on in the store. 

They are a hard wood (I call them red wood? Lol) I give them a light sand as I don't want to take too much of the colour off, put painted slats in between the gaps. I give it a coat of wet look decking oil then a varnish to finish it off. 

I am so in love with them. I have made a fence out of them aswell. 

Legs are foldable trestle table legs for easy storage. Made from you guessed it, recycled pallets lol.   Bench seats are the pallet cut in half and same process as the table. 

Sounds simple and we'll yahhh it is and so worth it 😍 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recycled pallet trestle table with bench seats

Another amazing pallet project @Jjoo6699

I believe the timber in those pallets is actually Merbau, as we receive our decking on those skid pallets. It's obviously a seconds grade and not the premium decking quality. The lighter sections might be the sapwood and the reason why it's being used for pallets. I love the fact that you're using the entire pallet as opposed to deconstructing it into boards and building the table from them. That must be an efficient way of putting the table and benches together.

I've been using some of these Merbau pallets recently to make sun catchers. It's really wonderful to see what others use them for as well.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project. 

Mitchell

M.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jjoo6699
Cultivating a Following

Oh wow @MitchellMc  that looks great 😁

And thanks, less work the better. 

I love the fact they would have been decking boards if they were not seconds. I am more than super excited I can reclaim them and give them a second Life ☺️🤗 and use decking oil on them. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Saving perfectly good timber from ending up in landfills is what really got me into reclaiming pallets @Jjoo6699. I was astounded when I found out that approximately 140,000 tonnes of pallets go straight into landfills in Sydney alone each year. Quite a few of my pallet projects were done in-store to inspire customers on what they could re-use our waste pallets for. It certainly worked, as now at my particular home store, they don't have to throw away any pallets as they are all re-used.

Mitchell

Pallet projects.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Recycled pallet trestle table with bench seats

Looks terrific. Well done @Jjoo6699.

Jason

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Recycled pallet trestle table with bench seats

Hi @Jjoo6699 

Really great job on your recycled pallet project! I really like how you used decking oil to give them that wet shine.

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects