Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rented premises balcony needs cat safety

Marg1e
Finding My Feet

Rented premises balcony needs cat safety

I'm in a lovely little rented apartment on the cusp of the Melbourne CBD. Unfortunately it has narrow vertical gaps at both ends of the balcony, but they're not so small that my adored little cat can't get through.  :unhappy: 

Age pensioner, I am. Need some kind of cheap, gap-filling THINGS to prevent Boodie's escape. Can anyone suggest anything, please ?

north endnorth endsouth end 1south end 1south end 2south end 2

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rented premises balcony needs cat safety

Hello @Marg1e 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cat safety.

I suggest having a look at using 2250 x 1220mm 2.5mm Corflute Black Double Wall as a barrier to cover the timber railing. In order to fix the corflute to the timber I recommend using Click Cable Management Ties. The general steps are to test fit the corflute and cut them down to size using a craft knife. 

Once you are satisfied with their fit, cut small slots at the top and bottom of the corflute between each railing. This is to allow the cable tie to go around the railing and then back to the front of the corflute. It's not necessary to have a cable tie on each railing, but I would space it at every 300mm to prevent the cat from bending the corflute. 

I also suggest having a look at our best advice - How do you close a balcony gap for pet safety? This article should give you more ideas on how to cover the gaps in your railing.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves while cutting the corflute.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for this ! - I'll show it to my handyman.😊

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marg1e,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust that Eric's reply was useful. 

Given cats are expert climbers, I wonder whether just closing those gaps will not be sufficient? 

You might want to explore some sort of cat enclosure like the example built by community member @Chrissie35 or a catwalk as built by @Kenzi. Another popular project on the site is the indoor to outdoor cat tower by @Shannon.  

All the best with the project, we look forward to seeing what you and your handyman come up with.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much, Jason - but I fear these to be too visible to keep my landlord happy (alas !).

Your input and thought behind it much appreciated.  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects