Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing planks on a Merbau deck that 10 years old

Suec530905
Just Starting Out

Replacing planks on a Merbau deck that 10 years old

We have merbau planks on the deck and some need to be replaced.

I went Bunnings to get replacement planks and noted the pieces I purchased didn’t have the ripples on one side….can I use these planks as a replacement for the old or would the smooth new planks stop rain leaving the deck

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replacing planks on a merbau deck that 10 years old

Hello @Suec530905

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your decking.

It's perfectly alright to use the 90 x 19mm L/M Decking Merbau SpecRite or bigger sizes. The SpecRite pre-oiled Merbau decking is an extremely durable, long-lasting, tannin-rich hardwood. It has a consistent red-brown colour and is easy to work with in terms of clean cutting and easy fastening. These decking panels will withstand harsh weather conditions and will not stop the rain from leaving the deck. 

My best suggestion is to purchase a small can of Decking Oil to paint the ends of any piece that you cut. Please note that if you purchased the pre-oiled panels, you'll need to wait six to eight weeks to season the panels. This will get rid of the excess oil and tannins in the panel, you can then paint the ends to seal it from the weather.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your decking repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing planks on a Merbau deck that 10 years old

Hi @Suec530905,

Just wanted to extend my own warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, and make sure that you now have everything you need for your repair work. Please let us know if you need any further assistance and feel free to post anytime you need a hand with any project around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects