Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restore stain/paint job timber outdoor furniture

Katbru
Growing in Experience

Restore stain/paint job timber outdoor furniture

Hello, I have a second-hand timber Jack/Jill seat. The timber is in pretty good condition, however it is what I would describe as "weathered" in a few parts. (Not exactly peeling ) .So I thought I might "re-stain" the whole thing. .

Never having done anything like this before, need basic instructions. I have been given a can, from a friend, of Cabot Exterior Varnishing Stain.

Here are my questions:

Do I need to sand back before doing anything? 

Should I clean first with something like Cabot Deck Clean?  And then use the Stain?

Or sand back, then apply stain?

Other?

This all began when I was wondering what size paintbrush to buy.. I was just ready to go ahead and purchase, but thought twice about course of action. I've never painted anything at all before, so would appreciate any assistance.

Pics show weathered bits as well as that part in good condition (seat back).

Thanks in advance !Back . I think it's condition is goodBack . I think it's condition is goodBits needing attentionBits needing attentionNeeds attentionNeeds attentionNeeds attentionNeeds attention 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restore stain/paint job timber outdoor furniture

There's a big difference between the back and the bottom @Katbru. Almost like it has been replaced, or someone has gone to the effort of sanding the back down to remove any deterioration and re-coated it.

To get the bottom to look like the top, I'd suggest you'd need to sand the coating off the bottom before re-coating it. Coating the bottom section with a stain and varnish without standing first might hide some issues, but it does nothing to rejuvenate the current varnish or the state of the timber.

You should find this guide helpful: How to refresh a timber outdoor table. The table is in a similar state to your bench seat, and, as you can see from the image below, the varnish is peeling too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects