Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Hello, sorry if I am posting duplicated subjects. Had a look but didn't find answers directly relevant to my project, so I hope you don't mind posting this here.

I would like to build a retaining wall using the Whites "Retain It" system. The wall would be about 8.5m in length. I plan on using Ironwood 200 x 75mm 2.4m Sienna treated pine sleepers. I am planning of a height three sleepers (about 600mm). I would also like to install a capping on top of the wall. It will be more of a garden wall than a retaining wall. I am planning to use whites 1500mmx75mm posts.

I'm aiming for a straight line version of:

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.55.55.png 

My questions to begin with:

• What should the distance between the Retain iT posts be for 75mm sleepers? Can the full length of 2.4m be used? 
  • If the sleepers need to be cut to length, do they need to be treated in some way to maintain protection agains decay and so on?
  • What is generally used for the top capping? Would it be another sleeper? How should the capping be fixed to the wall sleepers?
  • How much quick set concrete should I plan for each of the joiner posts?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boooooort
Getting Established

Re: Retaining wall with Whites Retain It system

Thanks @Adam_W   Yes it does. I might need to check first where digging the posts as it runs close to a sewer line I think. How much concrete would I need for each post? I figure you mean about .2m x .2m x .5m x 4 posts? Ie about 20L per hole?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Boooooort

Thank you for the update on your proposed pond. Let me tag @Adam_W so they're made aware of your question. Looking at Adam_W's recommendation, I read it as 500mm wide in diameter and 500mm deep for each post. It's recommended to be built that way to hold both the retaining wall and the water in your raised pond. Using a standard 20kg bag as our reference, you would approximately need 11 bags per post hole. 

I agree with Adam_W's recommendation of high MPA-rated concrete. This type of concrete is at least twice as hard as regular concrete. If you would like to tell me your closest store, I can inquire for you to find out what they have in stock and have some put aside. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tabbas_diy
Just Starting Out

Hi there,

I've done nearly the exact same timber retaining wall at my house. Just wondering what colour code he used for the lacquer when he painted the sleepers. 

Please help with the colour/paint, lacquer used in the photo above.

1000031677.jpg

Much Appreciated,

Tom.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tabbas_diy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the finish used on the sleepers.

Let me tag @steveof2620 to make them aware of your question. If I recall correctly, they stayed with the Ironwood 200 x 75mm 2.4m Sienna treated pine sleepers finish. It was only later on that they decided to oil the surface, but they did not mention what they would use.

However, looking at the picture posted, it might be close to the Feast Watson 4L Natural Traditional Timber Oil. Timber being a natural product often reacts differently when oiled or stained. I suggest testing the oil on piece of off cut sleeper first and see the kind of finish you get. If you are happy with the results, then you can commit the entire retaining wall.

I also recommend going to the Decking Oil and Stain Isle and have a look at the sample board finish. There you'll be able to see how the stains and oils look when cured.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects