Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rustic Colorbond fence and gate

Baggs
Having an Impact

Rustic Colorbond fence and gate

Hi everyone,

Thought id share a little project I did last week while stuck home with covid.

We haven't long moved into our new house and one of the jobs on the list to do is the front fences.

My wife and I seen this style of fence a couple of times and wanted to incorporate it into our place.

Basically all I used was just standard colorbond fencing post and rails then hunted down some rusty old corrugated iron.

I also used some 50x50 tube on either side of the gate and boundary side.

The gate was just a Rapidmesh adjustable gate frame from Bunnings that i painted black and screwed the fence panel to it

I have read that the hingers on these are not the best and can brake the welds but ill deal with that if it happens later.

I think it turned out really well. once we get all our native plants/trees going it will all tie in really well.

Cheers

Kyle

20220518_164147.jpg20220420_112610.jpg20220520_123939.jpg20220520_123956.jpg20220520_124001.jpg20220520_123806.jpg20220520_123822.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rustic colorbond fence and gate

Hello @Baggs

Thank you so much for sharing your rustic Colorbond fence project. What a beautiful combination of old and new elements in your fence. Using the adjustable steel gate frame kit was an excellent choice and the black paint makes it really visible. How long did the project take to finish? 

My number one recommendation to make the corrugated iron last is to paint it with White Knight 500ml Rust Guard Clear Quick Dry Topcoat Paint. This will slow down the spread of the rust to a crawl unless you wish to have the corrugated iron in full rust colour. Do not apply any rust converters as it will turn the rust colour back into dark grey steel.

Again, thanks for sharing your rustic Colorbond fence project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baggs
Having an Impact

Re: Rustic colorbond fence and gate

Hi Eric,

Cheers for all of that. 

It only took a couple of days in between showers to do the while project.

I was going to spray all the tin with Penatrol after winter to seal it all up.

Cheers

Kyle

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rustic Colorbond fence and gate

Congratulations on the new house @Baggs and thanks so much for sharing your new fence and gate project with the community. What's next on your to-do list? We're looking forward to seeing your next project. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or when you have a new project to share. 

Jason

Baggs
Having an Impact

Hi @Jason . cheers for that.

Next on the list is more fencing on the other side of the house then start the retaining and stairs at the rear of the house along with installing our alfresco blinds that have just arrived.

Cheers

Kyle

jeannie52
Growing in Experience

I think your fence looks fantastic!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jeannie52

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Baggs to make them aware of your kind words. It truly is a fantastic fence, it brings back so many memories of traditional fence lines. Are you planning on building something similar? This type of fencing is open to different types of framing, you can actually build it depending on the size and number of sheets you have. It's almost like a game of Tetris. 

If you have any questions regarding this project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects