Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sealer for concrete paving

Lolly
Getting Established

Sealer for concrete paving

Hello 

I am looking for a concrete paving paint that basically is a stain that will provide a wet look but still the water will be able to get into the slabs so I am not left with a pool water sitting on top 

Does anyone recommend the Berger Jet Dry 4L paving wet look sealer?

Thank you Pavement.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealer for concrete paving

Hi @Lolly,

A paving paint or sealer is a coating and will prevent water penetrating the surface of your pavers. A stain will change the colouring but won't be able to achieve a wet look as it is not a sealer. If you were to only apply the wet look sealer or paint to the individual pavers then the water would seep between them and drain away. However, I note in your other thread that you intend on cementing between the pavers which will reduce the ability of the water to drain. You might get some drainage through the locking sand I suggested but it will be minimal.

It would be worth checking to see it the pavers a perfectly flat. If they are not then the water will naturally flow off in that direction without leaving a pool of water.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to seal outdoor pavers.

Let me mention @Yorky88 to see if he has any suggestions on how to achieve a wet look whilst still having a permeable surface.

Please let me know if need further information or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lolly
Getting Established

Re: Sealer for concrete paving

Thank you Mitchell! 

Lolly
Getting Established

y Water sitting on top of recently recently painted pavers

Hi everyone 

well I pained my concrete pavers and I was recommended to purchase the Berger Active Clean and Etch - I did both to ensure that water would sink in, I did the test but when I have painted them, the water is now just sitting on top and not at all sinking in - can someone recommend what to do here and where I went wrong?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: y Water sitting on top of recently recently painted pavers

Hi @Lolly,

I apologise as I am having some difficulty understanding the situation.

The water droplet test is to ensure that the Berger Active Clean and Etch has sufficiently etched the surface to allow the paint to stick to the paver. This is indicated by the fact that a water droplet can soak into it. This product and the associated test does not make the topcoat paint coating porous and allow water to seep through it. As per my previous response "A paving paint or sealer is a coating and will prevent water penetrating the surface of your pavers."

Please let me know if I have understood the issue correctly.

Mitchell

Lolly
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell!

we didn’t fill the gaps so do you think this will be ok for drainage?

if not is there anyway to remove the sealer?

@Lolly,

I believe there won't be any drainage issue as such, the water will simply run off the pavers and through the gaps when it builds up. There might be some residual droplets left on top of the pavers that will no doubt dry up in a reasonable amount of time.

If an issue arises then we can discuss removing the paint, I certainly wouldn't be looking at removing the paint now. Thousands of Australians have successfully used paving paints to paint pavers around their home in the same manner as you have. As with all water-impermeable surfaces around our homes, water will naturally find the lowest point and simply run off them. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects