Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use decking oil or stain?

Abhi352
Growing in Experience

Should I use decking oil or stain?

Hello everyone,

i have a question related to timber oil and stain. Last year i have used Cobots aquadeck decking oil to paint the backyard patio.

My experience with decking oil is avg and this year i am thinking whether to go with stain or again timber oil from another brand.

If i go with stain, do i need to clean/scrub the patio thoroughly before applying it?

I am just looking for an option which will give good finish after 2 coats and lasts for a long. Pls advise. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking Oil or Stain

Hi @Abhi352,

Whether you use an oil and stain combo or purely a stain, it's typically a yearly coating that is needed. You could expect to apply two coats per year in extreme exposure cases. 

If you can tell our helpful members a little more about your experience and your expectations, then that will assist them in making informed suggestions. Did you use an oil and stain combo or just the natural decking oil? If you've felt the colour faded too quickly from using just the straight oil, then the oil and stain combo would work better as it includes additional colour pigments. However, if the deck dried out and appeared unnourished too quickly, that's an indication that you need to apply the oil twice yearly and switching to a stain will not solve that issue. 

Applying a stain instead of an oil has the same preparation process. You must clean the deck with a product like Cabot's 4L Deck Clean and a stiff bristle brush to remove contaminants before staining.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Abhi352
Growing in Experience

Re: Decking Oil or Stain

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Should I use decking oil or stain?

Afternoon @Abhi352 

I have just sanded back my hardwood deck that was last oiled a decade ago. I have re-oiled it with cabots natural oil (almost put down the merabu coloured oil :surprised: The timber was grey to start with, once sanded it came back to a yellow gum look tho once I oiled it the timber darkened considerbily. I expected it to do that and was still surprised. It has lightened somewhat over the week as it has soaked in (even in the rain) 

The question I have is how "grey" is your timber? If its grey the oil will protect it but not particulary colour it, if you want colour then I would follow @MitchellMc's recomendation for sure.

Will try and post the project this arvo (just depends on work :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects