Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should you use concrete or H4 pine stumps for decking?

Jon1
Just Starting Out

Should you use concrete or H4 pine stumps for decking?

Hi,  

I'm wanting to know if I should use concrete or H4 treated pine stumps for a decking?

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should you use concrete or H4 pine stumps for decking?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jon1. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about deck construction.

How high is your deck from the ground, and is the soil subject to waterlogging? For a standard installation, H4 posts concreted into the ground is a suitable arrangement. You might even like to use post supports to raise the timber out of the ground. If you were to go with purely concrete supports, they wouldn't be affected by moisture at all. We have the DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block, which would be suitable for a low-level deck.

For more information, check out our handy guide: How to build a low-level deck. Be sure to also check the Top 10 most popular deck projects for inspiration.

I'm keen to hear more about your project, and I trust our members will also be excited to follow along. Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your quick reply and advice.  The front of the deck/porch would sit just above ground level i.e. the garden bed, and would be subject to moisture / waterlogging - the rear of the porch has plenty of clearance and is dry.  Other than concrete posts or blocks, could steel stirrups also be a option? 

Thanks,

Jon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Steel post supports or stirrups are a convenient option that you concrete into or bolt onto footers @Jon1. That way, you've got no timber near the ground which could start to decay.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects